Round 3350 ALOUATTE Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

May 16, 2023, 5:56:48 AM5/16/23
to Dixonary
Here we have a bumper crop of 14 defs of the word ALOUATTE, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        20:00 UTC/GMT on Wednesday 16th May
        21:00 BST in London
        22:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         4:00 PM EDT in New York
         1:00 PM PDT in California
        08:00 NZST in New Zealand on Thursday

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** ALOUATTE ***

 1.  a matchstick.
 2.  A red bird (from French).
 3.  [Can.] a holiday rental property.
 4.  A howler monkey (genus _Alouatta_).
 5.  a specialty coffee drink served on Air France.
 6.  speech disorder featuring randomly spoken words.
 7.  a small passerine songbird of the family _Alaudidae_.
 8.  To adorn with needlework representing branches, flowers, or twigs.
 9.  a small green bird in the  macaw family: the red shouldered macaw _Diopsittaca nobilis_
10.  1. a deep-toned instrument of the oboe or bassoon family, 18-19c; thence, 2. a bass reed stop on the organ.
11.  The alpine bellflower, a biennial herbaceous plant that grows in clumps with spreading stems and blue or purple flowers.
12.  A Provençal sauce resembling mayonnaise flavoured with red chillies, garlic, and other ingredients, typically served with fish soups.
13.  A pose in which a dancer stands on one leg—either straight or demi-plié, and either flat-footed or en pointe—while extending the other leg straight behind at a right angle.
14.  1. A cooking technique used in some 'haute cuisine'  restaurants, where fish or poultry is first blanched, then lightly scorched, and finally briefly fried just before serving; 2. Any dish cooked that way.

Hugo Kornelis

May 16, 2023, 6:19:45 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I'll have to say, this is truly an amazing list of definitions. I actually believe almost all of them!

But I can only vote for two, so I have narrowed it down to:

 3.  [Can.] a holiday rental property.

and

13.  A pose in which a dancer stands on one leg—either straight or demi-plié, and either flat-footed or en pointe—while extending the other leg straight behind at a right angle.

Cheers,
Hugo

Tim B

May 16, 2023, 6:34:02 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and 8, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

May 16, 2023, 8:34:38 AM5/16/23
to Dixonary
Dave Cunningham sent me his vote by email:

           1 for simplicity, 10 for nearly believable complexity.

            Google may not recognize me in the group … so I am stuck this way for now.

             Dave

Judy Madnick

May 16, 2023, 9:44:07 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I like the birds, but there are three. I'll probably choose the incorrect two (if, in fact, it's a bird!). I guess I'll take the ones with color (red and green):

 2.  A red bird (from French).
 9.  a small green bird in the  macaw family: the red shouldered macaw _Diopsittaca nobilis

Judy Madnick

John Barrs

May 16, 2023, 10:07:30 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
I think it is alive but I'll avoid the birds so monkeys and flowers for me - #4 and #11 please
JohnnyB

Paul Keating

May 16, 2023, 10:31:09 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don't buy the birds, because I think they're inspired by alouette, nor the somewhat stirred coffee: ooh la latte!

I'll vote for:
  4.  A howler monkey (genus _Alouatta_).

France International/Mike Shefler

May 16, 2023, 10:59:22 AM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 11 and 13.

---Mike

Chowie

May 16, 2023, 11:25:03 AM5/16/23
to Dixonary
1 and 11............

Thanks, Debbie E.

Daniel B. Widdis

May 16, 2023, 12:57:38 PM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Great collection of defs.

I'll go with the howler, not because I know what a howler monkey is but I do know what a howler is in the wizarding world.

And oboes need love.

That's 4 and 10.

Efrem Mallach

Glenn Thomas Davis

May 16, 2023, 1:10:45 PM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Bravo to all for making this so difficult! I’ll blindly throw two darts and go with 8 and 12.

—Glenn

. . .
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.
—Plutarch

Tony Abell

May 16, 2023, 1:16:22 PM5/16/23
to Tim Lodge

I'll take 4 and 11, following what seems to be the most informed opinion:

> 4. A howler monkey (genus _*Alouatta*_).

Shani Naylor

May 16, 2023, 5:21:38 PM5/16/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try the popular 11 and the mayonnaise-like fish soup sauce,12.