Round 3351 HERM Results

Glenn Thomas Davis

May 21, 2023, 3:38:55 AM5/21/23
to Dixonary
As five astute players guessed, according to dictionary.com, a herm is a sometimes priapic, sometimes hermetic monument. Tim Lodge wins the day with his fowl enclosure, a natural 5 and an unnatural 2 points giving him 7 points total, so he will be our next dealer. Congrats!
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 12.36.52 AM.png
I need to mention I somehow neglected to include Paul Keating's excellent definition, which was submitted before the deadline. Paul sat out the round, which was my fault.
  • Now rare. attrib. A pumped storage hydropower plant [name of Swiss engineering firm, 1895].
I deeply apologize to Paul and all of you for the mistake!

Shani Naylor

May 21, 2023, 3:52:04 AM5/21/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glenn - great first deal! You may not be aware of it, but you can award dealer points if you've done something that disadvantages a player (like Paul). Rule 8 d states:

If a player has been disadvantaged by some error on the dealer’s part (such as losing a submitted definition, or posting it in such a way that it is clear that it is fake), the dealer has discretion to award dealer points to that player as compensation.

Tim Lodge

May 21, 2023, 4:46:37 AM5/21/23
to Dixonary
Thans, Glenn

I'll post a new word in a couple of hours - it's still a bit early for me on a Sunday morning here in the UK!

-- Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

May 21, 2023, 9:30:13 AM5/21/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
That is indeed an option but by sitting out the round Paul indicated he would prefer this round not contribute to his overall average.

An article on the site explains why.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 7:38 PM Glenn Thomas Davis <gl...@gdcreative.com> wrote:
As five astute players guessed, according to dictionary.com, a herm is a sometimes priapic, sometimes hermetic monument. Tim Lodge wins the day with his fowl enclosure, a natural 5 and an unnatural 2 points giving him 7 points total, so he will be our next dealer. Congrats!
<Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 12.36.52 AM.png>

I need to mention I somehow neglected to include Paul Keating's excellent definition, which was submitted before the deadline. Paul sat out the round, which was my fault.
  • Now rare. attrib. A pumped storage hydropower plant [name of Swiss engineering firm, 1895].
I deeply apologize to Paul and all of you for the mistake!

Glenn Thomas Davis

May 21, 2023, 2:09:01 PM5/21/23
to Dixonary
Thank you Shani! Paul specifically requested no dealer points, so I'll honor his request, but that's good to know.

Paul Keating

May 21, 2023, 3:47:22 PM5/21/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Shani,

I've never agreed with dealer points, as you can read in the paper Dealer points considered harmful. There's no provision for them in the 1990 rules, and I think they are a bad idea. So I asked Glenn not to go that way.

Shani Naylor

May 21, 2023, 5:44:12 PM5/21/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
All good - I only told Glenn because I thought he might not know about them,  being a new player.