[Dixonary] Round 3273, MAIKO

Efrem Mallach

Aug 7, 2022, 4:17:05 PM8/7/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

The word for Round 3273 is:

***************************
MAIKO
***************************
where capitalization has no significance.

Please send your fake definition of MAIKO to emallach at verizon dot net by 8 am North America EDT, Tues., August 9. If  you know what MAIKO means, please let me know ASAP the same way. If enough people know it, I'll replace it.

According to timeanddate.com, which is usually reliable, the deadline is:

etc. You might want to confirm any conversion that affects you.

I plan to board a plane for London about 11 hours after the definition deadline. With the time change, recent air travel issues, plans for my first couple of days in England, and uncertainty about how Internet connections will work where I'll be, I'm not sure what the voting deadline will be, but the voting period may be longer than usual.

New players are welcome, as are old ones who've been quiet for a while. Just send me a definition that you invented without looking up the word. Full rules at  http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules.

Efrem

Efrem Mallach

Aug 7, 2022, 4:17:05 PM8/7/22
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

Paul Keating

Aug 7, 2022, 9:59:35 PM8/7/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I received a bunch of messages all timestamped 7 August 22:17 CEST, which is 3 hours almost to the minute after the timestamp on Mike's forward.

So it appears they got stuck in a queue somewhere between the group's server for incoming email and its messaging server.

That queue's latency is usually a couple of seconds but I have known it to be upwards of a minute sometimes.

The timestamps of the emails emanating from the group naturally reflect the time that the messaging server reckons the messages were "posted".

Anyhow, all's well etc.

Efrem Mallach

Aug 7, 2022, 10:06:26 PM8/7/22
to 'Efrem Mallach' via Dixonary
According to Dan Widdis, who took time out from being a tourist in NYC to figure this out, my message were stuck in Google Groups' spam hold until he released them. He didn't know why, since the group settings are not to require moderation of members' messages. Under the circumstances, he didn't pursue the matter further, and I wouldn't have wanted him to use more of his vacation time on this than he already had.

That's why everyone got three copies: the one I sent to Dan with a request for him to send it out, and later the two I sent to the group that were stuck and that he released. The content of all three is the same.

I just hope the scenario doesn't repeat itself with the list of definitions 30+ hours from now.

Efrem

P.S. If you're reading this and you haven't yet sent in your def of MAIKO, please do!

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

Judy Madnick

Aug 7, 2022, 10:07:48 PM8/7/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
That happened to me not too long ago. It's so frustrating not to know why messages don't go through!

Judy