Round 3274: DEFARM [Call for votes]

Paul Keating

Aug 14, 2022, 3:40:41 PM8/14/22
to Dixonary Group
All,

I have a rather meagre crop of eight definitions for defarm. Please vote for two of them, by reply to this post, before the deadline, which is Tuesday 16 August at 21h45 CEST, or just over 48 hours from time of posting.

 1. A conservation and rehabilitation approach to food and farming systems, focusing on topsoil regeneration, increasing biodiversity, improving the water cycle, enhancing ecosystem services, supporting biosequestration, increasing resilience to climate change, and strengthening the health and vitality of farm soil.

 2. The presence of excess colonic bacteria in the small intestine resulting in malabsorption.

 3. To embezzle money held on trust.

 4. An error for disarm.

 5. Poor ore.

 6. Depression, melancholia.

 7. To return agricultural land to nature;  to rewild.

 8. The government policy of subsidies to encourage farmers to convert their land to some other use such as golf courses, forests etc. rather than produce crops. Rewilding or leaving land fallow is not usually one of the options.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

France International/Mike Shefler

Aug 14, 2022, 3:58:43 PM8/14/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Well, you would have had 9 if I had remembered to post the definition I
wrote.

I'll vote for 2 and 6.

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 14, 2022, 4:17:10 PM8/14/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#3 and #6 please

JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

Aug 14, 2022, 5:11:46 PM8/14/22
to Dixonary
I'll try 4 and 5.

4. An error for disarm.

5. Poor ore.

-- Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 14, 2022, 5:57:18 PM8/14/22
to Dixonary

Avoiding the obvious etymologies, 3 and 5 for me.

It’s probably one of the obvious ones.

Berger, Deborah

Aug 14, 2022, 6:51:45 PM8/14/22
to Dixonary Group
I'll go with 7 and 8.  Sorry for no def. this round. Deb

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Aug 14, 2022, 8:17:21 PM8/14/22
to Dixonary
3 and 6 please

Judy Madnick

Aug 14, 2022, 8:47:46 PM8/14/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
In an effort to avoid farm-related submissions: 2. The presence of excess colonic bacteria in the small intestine resulting in malabsorption.
and
6. Depression, melancholia.

Judy Madnick

Shani Naylor

Aug 14, 2022, 9:32:15 PM8/14/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll avoid the farming defs too.

3 & 6

Tony Abell

Aug 14, 2022, 10:37:24 PM8/14/22
to Paul Keating

I'll take the plausible 3 and the extremely improbable 4:

Efrem Mallach

Aug 16, 2022, 7:04:49 AM8/16/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Agree with the "no farms" crowd. Beyond that ... I dunno. I'll try 3 and 4.

Efrem