Segment ID for Medicare Advantage in Coverage data

Zhongxia Zhou

Apr 1, 2024, 6:12:10 PMApr 1
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
Hi,

I'm looking into the data from the Coverage endpoint and I'm wondering if Part C Medicare advantage segment ID is provided (I can see the contract ID and PBP ID). I also saw variables like https://bluebutton.cms.gov/resources/variables/sgmtid01/ available, but the segment ID seems to be only applicable to Part D. Will Part C also have the segment ID?

Thanks!
-Zhongxia

Jillian Theil

Apr 9, 2024, 11:32:00 AMApr 9
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API
Hello Zhongxia -

The CMS Chronic Conditions Warehouse (CCW) is where BB2.0 database pulls its data from, and according to their codebook (available here, first codebook linked on the list) the SGMTID is only applicable for Part D data in coverage. The CCW codebook states that “This variable is the segment number that CMS assigns to identify a geographic market segment or subdivision of a Part D plan; the segment number allows you to determine the market area covered by the plan. The variable describes the market segment for a given month (January through December)” Emphasis added by us (not in the original CCW Codebook).

Therefore, we do not believe Part C will have the segment number.

Best,
Jillian Theil
-The Blue Button 2.0 API Team