Primary Voting Rights Meeting on Saturday

Ken Whittaker

Jan 27, 2012, 2:21:50 AM1/27/12
to Detroit IQ
MICHIGAN DEMOCRATIC FUTURE MEETING
6 pm - this Saturday, January 28, 2012
Circa saloon - 5474 Cass (near WSU Campus)
Detroit Michigan

MAIN TOPIC: SHOULD MDP REMOVE BAN TO VOTING IN BOTH PRIMARY AND CAUCUS?
Current Democratic Party rules forbid Democrats from voting in both the primary and the presidential caucus.

There will be a primary on Feb. 28th. In 2011, The MDP stated it would not participate in the 10 million dollar GOP presidential primary.

The Michigan Democratic Party will hold caucuses around the state on May 5, 2012.

But some Democrats are already voting absentee for the Feb. 28th primary.

We may need to look at amending our rules.

Should we have rules that allow Democrats to vote in the May 5th process even if they participate in the primary? I think we need to be more careful about how this process is being handled.

The Michigan Democratic Party State Central Committee will meet on February 4th at UAW Local 600 in Dearborn in the 14th Congressional District.

Should Michigan Democratic Future members, some who are members of the state central committee, urge the State Central Committee to Remove the Ban on Voting in Both Primary and Caucus?

Removing the ban could minimize confusion and help make sure every Democrat has the opportunity to vote.

What are the pros and cons to removing the ban?

Is the MDP currently causing harm by asking people to skip the Feb 28th primary?

Should we make sure our President has a nice showing on Feb 28th when those numbers will be reported on national media outlets?

Could we use Feb. 28th as a dry run for our November election?

Could we use this primary election process to give election protection experience to volunteers?

Join in the discussion. What are your questions?

MDF was recognized for our work by President Obama at the Joe in 2008. MDF is currently organizing and raising funds for a Dem Take Back effort in Lansing.

--

Sincerely,

Ken Whittaker