Detroit's New Charter: We've Literally Turned The Page Toward Our Future

Ken Whittaker

Nov 11, 2011, 11:00:45 AM11/11/11
to Detroit IQ

JCMF Picture
JENICE MITCHELL FORD

  CHARTER COMMISSIONER

Get On Board With Ford -- Newsletter

Volume Thirty Eight

Detroit's New Charter:

A Real Opportunity For Change

Ethics, Vision For Future & Better Government

Good Day To All:

On November 8, 2011, Detroiters voted to adopt a new city Charter.  By doing so, we literally turned the page toward's Detroit future.  A future with transparent, accountable and efficient leadership.  And if not, clear enforceable rules to deal with breaches of those trusts.

I count it an absolute privilege to have been at the table during the historic undertaking of revising our city's governing document.  It was historic because we've only revised our city Charter two times in Detroit's history.  This is the 3rd revision.

Thank you for entrusting me with the task.  I sincerely hope that I met your expectations and represented you well in the process.

NEXT STEPS

The new Charter will take effect on January 1, 2012.  The Charter Commission's term expires May 5, 2012.  However, we plan to shut down operations by February 1, 2012 and return budgeted funds to the City.  I'm sure such funds can be used to fix a few buses or streetlights.

Over the next two months, we will archive our materials for preservation at the Burton Collection of the Detroit Public Library and in the City of Detroit's archives managed by the City Clerk.  Also, we will transmit the "non-charterable" proposals we received to the Mayor and City Council.  Such proposals, for a host of different reasons were not included in the new Charter, but, speak to genuine community concerns that our city officials should seriously consider.

THANK YOU

I will send you another note when the Charter Commission officially discontinues but wanted to now send this note just to say Thank You.

Thank you for reading and indulging these newsletters over the last 2 1/2 years.

Thank you for traveling this road to a better Detroit with me.

Thank you for GETTING ON BOARD WITH FORD!

NOTE:  IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION LIST -   I APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE, AND ASK THAT YOU SELF EMPLOY THE UNSUBSCRIBE FUNCTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS NEWSLETTER.  THANK YOU.

Jenice Mitchell Ford, Chair
City of Detroit 2009-2012 Charter Revision Commission
www.jenicemitchellford.com