A Message from Councilmember Jenkins: Detroiters Deserve A Smarter, Stronger Charter

Ken R. Whittaker

Nov 3, 2011, 4:16:36 PM11/3/11
to Detroit IQ
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011
Dear Fellow Detroiter,

Below is an editorial I wrote in opposition of Proposal C, the proposed Detroit City Charter revisions, from the November 2-8, 2011 edition of The Michigan Chronicle.  I urge you to read and consider it before going to the polls next Tuesday.

Sincerely in service to you,

Council Member Saunteel Jenkins
Dotted Line
Detroiters deserve a stronger, smarter charter
SJ Pic

Tuesday, November 8, 2011, Detroit voters must decide whether or not to adopt proposed changes to our city charter, the document that establishes how Detroit is governed.  I applaud the Charter Revision Commission for their hard work and leadership throughout this two-year process, but I cannot support the revised charter they have proposed.  I understand that the aim of the Charter Commission was to increase transparency in city government, streamline operations and empower residents to strengthen our city.  However, the proposed charter has fallen short of these goals.

If adopted, the new charter would weaken city council's ability to aid residents with city services and add costly new services when we're struggling with a budget deficit.  It also politicizes our police department-- a department that needs accountability and oversight, not political campaigns.  Because of this, I ask Detroiters to vote "NO" on Proposal C this November 8, 2011.

In 2009 Detroiters voted to change the way city council is elected so that seven of the nine council members will be elected by district and two elected at large.  Residents believed districts would provide more representation and accountability. While the newly proposed charter offers districts, it has further weakened city council's ability to effectuate city services. Therefore, depriving residents of the benefits they sought with districts-- council members who could be responsive to their concerns about city services. Under the current city charter, city council has no direct control over city services. However, as a group, city council has the power to force change.  Under the newly proposed charter, council's ability to act as a group is further diminished. Council by district without a council member's ability to service his or her direct constituents is problematic to say the least.  This is just one of several major flaws in the proposed charter; there are others that prove just as detrimental.

 Proposal C also proposes to choose seven of eleven members of the Board of Police Commissioners by district election.  Though the amendment encourages resident participation in the selection process, it also invites a host of potential problems.  The only requirements to run for the police commission are to be at least 18 years old and reside in the district you wish to represent as a police commissioner.  Not only does this politicize the all too important task of debating and creating policing policies for the city, it also creates an avenue for those with ulterior motives to now have a direct impact on policing policies.  The Board of Police Commissioners is charged with ensuring that the Detroit Police Department remains devoted to the safety of Detroit's residents.  Such responsibility should be dispersed with much more consideration.

In addition, Proposal C creates new city services, which is patently fiscally irresponsible.  A great example of this is the creation of a mandatory recycling program and green initiatives.  Though I agree that Detroit would significantly benefit from a citywide recycling program, it would be financially unwise to add new, widespread, nonessential services when we are currently faced with an ever-increasing deficit of $155 million and the threat of an emergency manager. Detroit consistently struggles to maintain adequate delivery of the most basic city services, like transportation, public lighting, and emergency services.  Requiring the addition of more costly services to an already exhausted budget is proof enough that the charter needs further revision.

As we move toward new governance, I believe Detroiters owe it to themselves to ensure that the approved charter is one that effectively and responsibly meets their needs.  If the proposed charter revisions are voted down on November 8th the commission will have until May 12, 2012 to come up with amended charter revisions that will strengthen our city in a more substantive and balanced way. A "NO" vote on Proposal C is a call for more thought, more time and more care in this distinctive process.  Saying "NO" to Proposal C on November 8th is not a blow against the newly proposed charter, but a move in support of crafting a stronger governmental foundation that stands to serve Detroit and its residents well into the future.

Questions or comments may be sent to councilmem...@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Ken R. Whittaker

Detroit IQ Contributor