Re: [Elm City Cycling] Elm st

Mark Abraham

Aug 7, 2013, 9:32:31 PM8/7/13
to Liam Brennan, ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, route34...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, dws...@googlegroups.com
It's definitely there - I have been using it daily.

Unfortunately, the lanes do not seem to meet the recommendations developed by Nelson Nygaard, an internationally-renowed firm that served as the City of New Haven's consultant on this issue in 2009.

Some may recall that a large-scale community process was held, which many of us participated in.  A cycle track was the recommendation for Elm Street between York and State (see page 6).  It has also been the recommendation within city reports for several years, and within our own Bike & Pedestrian plan.

FYI, at the time the consultant wrote the report, the total cost of a cycle track on Elm Street from York to State was estimated at $38,574 (see page 23).

If anyone has comments on the new bike lane, they should post them here, especially once the striping is completed.  We will be taking notes!   I know that several residents have concerns about the new design, which as far as we can tell, no community members were consulted about.   Generally, bike lanes can be highly effective and am pleased the city is trying to do something, even if it may not meet accepted standards. I think there will be opportunities to improve this stretch of Elm Street again in near future.  Some of the features of the restriping, like the intersection wayfinding, seem to be an advance over previous cycle facility design in New Haven.  Also, the cycle track cost included 30 in-road bollards: it's possible that these are planned.

Also, if you do support a cycle track on Elm, please visit http://seeclickfix.com/issues/15932-elm-street-cycle-track (easily one of the most popular of the 650,000+ issues reported on SeeClickFix), view the video animations, and vote.  http://greenlaneproject.org/ is another great resource on this topic.

Mark

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Liam Brennan <l.br...@zoho.com> wrote:

ECC-

Did anyone ride on Elm Street today? Is that the outline of a bike lane finally becoming reality etched on the new pavement?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Chris Heitmann

Aug 8, 2013, 5:37:21 PM8/8/13
to ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, Liam Brennan, route34...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, dws...@googlegroups.com
Basically, the City - and perhaps Yale?- was not ready to remove a lane of traffic JUST yet, right? A cycle-track would require that, I assume.

An alternative to that and to what they've now striped would be to have added a narrow striped buffer. If the lanes are 10' wide now (and the left lane and parking lane seem still quite wide), steal 6" from each of the four lanes and you have a two-foot buffer. Then you'd have a safer lane, slower traffic and even have room to put those flexi bollards. Why not?

Chris

H Morrow Long

Aug 7, 2013, 10:09:41 PM8/7/13
to Mark Abraham, Liam Brennan, ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, route34...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, dws...@googlegroups.com
I rode down on the roughed out bike lane at noon today -- down to the farm market on the Green and the Blues, Berries and ... concert.

There were also roughed out 'one car' parking spaces between the bike lane and the curb/sidewalk on the West side of Elm (e.g. the east side of the upper and lower Greens).
There were also roughed out 'one car' parking spaces on the other (east) side of Elm Street.

It looks like they'll be painting over them more permanently.  I couldn't verify it but it also looked like there was a groove in the middle of each paint line, as if they were made by some type of asphalt saw, but it could have been a line marked by some type of 'roller' wheel.

Morrow

.

Mark Abraham

Nov 21, 2013, 2:07:29 PM11/21/13
to Liam Brennan, ecc_bi...@googlegroups.com, elmcity...@yahoogroups.com, dws...@googlegroups.com, bike guy
According to this SeeClickFix issue, "multiple crashes" have been reported on the new lane.
Does anyone have any details on what kind of crashes have happened here?

Mark