Fwd: WoosterSqWatch: Yale Commencement, I-95, more

Aaron Goode

May 19, 2016, 2:53:08 PM5/19/16
to dws...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "WoosterSqWatch" <wooster...@gmail.com>
Date: May 19, 2016 2:10 PM
Subject: WoosterSqWatch: Yale Commencement, I-95, more
To: "Wooster Sq Google Group" <wooster...@googlegroups.com>

Dear Friends and Neighbors:

Detailed information about the imminent Yale University Commencement and the busy I-95 Corridor.

And Local Security Issues...

This from the informed, informative Officer David B. Hartman of the New Haven Police Department:

TRAFFIC ADVISORY

FOR YALE COMMENCEMENT

For immediate release,

18 May, 2016 – “WHERE’S YALE”?

FOLKS PLANNING TO DRIVE DOWNTOWN SHOULD EXPECT DELAYS AND PLAN AHEAD FOR COMMENCEMENT TRAFFIC

Excited Grads, lost parents and confused out-of-towners will descend on New Haven by the week’s end. The New Haven and Yale University Police Departments will have many added posts to assure the easiest possible traffic flow but the message should be clear – driver beware.

Baccalaureate Services, Special events, concerts and Commencement programs will take place at various campus locations throughout downtown, Friday through Monday.

Yale University Commencement Exercises for all students from Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and all of the university’s professional schools will be on Monday, May 23 at 10:30 a.m. on Old Campus.

Motorists should prepare for the following street closures,

·      Saturday, 21 May, from noon until 5:00 PM – Periodic closures of College Street between Grove Street and Elm Street.

·      Sunday, 22 May, from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM – Periodic closures of College Street between Grove Street and Elm Street.

·      Sunday, 22 May, from 8:00 AM – Full closure of High Street between Chapel Street and Elm Street.

·      Sunday, 22 May, from noon until 5:00 PM – Periodic closures of Elm Street between York Street and College Street.

·      Sunday, 22 May, from noon until 4:00 PM – Periodic closures of College Street between Elm Street and Chapel Street.

·      Monday, 23 May until evening – Continued full closure of High Street between Chapel Street and Elm Street.

·      Monday, 23 May from 8:30 AM until 1:00 PM – Full closure of College Street between Grove Street and Chapel Street.

·      Monday, 23 May from 8:30 AM until 1:00 PM – Full closure of Elm Street between York Street and College Street.

·      Monday, 23 May, from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM – Periodic closures of Cedar Street between York Street and Amistad Street.

·      Monday, 23 May, from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM – Periodic closures of Washington Avenue between Howard Avenue and Gold Street.

Visitors to downtown should also expect periodic delays on streets with hotels during peak check-in and check-out hours.

·      The Omni Hotel, 155 Temple Street

·      The New Haven Hotel, 229 George Street

·      The Study Hotel, 1157 Chapel Street

·      The Courtyard Marriott, 30 Whalley Avenue

Officer David B. Hartman

Media Liaison & Public Information Officer

Office of the Chief of Police

The busy I-95 Corridor:

This from the Downtown/Wooster Square Community Management Team, sent them by the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge Folks, who are building the beautiful bridge and re-organizing the highways:

<<This summer, I-95 Northbound will be shifted into a new alignment onto the bridge over Water Street. When this occurs, the off-ramp to I-91 Northbound (Exit 48) will exit on the right.

I-91 / I-95 / Route 34 Construction Activities

Impacted Roadways: I-91, I-95, Route 34 and Water Street.

Nighttime closure and detour of Woodward Avenue on-ramp to I-95 Southbound is scheduled to occur Tuesday, may 24, between the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM. This work is necessary to facilitate roadway construction.

Nighttime closure and detour of Route 34 Eastbound off-ramps to I-91 Northbound and I-95 Northbound is scheduled to occur weeknights through May 2016 between the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM. This work is necessary to facilitate bridge construction.

A continuous daytime and nighttime closure and detour of the Vision Trail between State Street and Sargent Drive is scheduled to occur through May 2016, as part of State Project No. 301-0144, to facilitate work in the New Haven Railyard. Although this work is not part of the Program, CTDOT is coordinating with the Program to reduce the potential for conflicts and control the impact on local bicycle and pedestrian traffic. Signage will be posted.

For daily traffic updates, videos and before and after visualizations, visit www.i95newhaven.com>>

This Program was been exemplary in its diffusion of knowledge, accessibility and openness.

LOCAL SECURITY:

We visited CompStat, the weekly all Security and Public Service Organizations meeting at Police Headquarters, and this is what we can report:

As per our District Manager, Sgt. Roy Davis of the New Haven Police Department:

  • Motor Vehicle Theft: Church Street
  • 3 Larcenies from Vehicle: Center Street, Temple/Elm Street, State Street/Trumbull Street
  • Intimidation with a Weapon: Chapel Street
  • Assault with a firearm: Grand Avenue/Artizan Street

Although these events and incidents occurred on the near periphery of our Wooster Square neighborhood, please remember that we are a conduit neighborhood, connecting Fair Haven and Downtown, and all incidents are linked.

Please be mindful of your vehicles, your property, and, most of all, yourselves.

Three kind of great folks were born today, Johns Hopkins (1795), Malcolm X (1925) and Pete Townshend (1945) and we know many of you out there were also born today, so, all together now:

Happy Birthday!

DO NOT FORGET:

The New Haven International Festival of Arts and Ideas is gearing up and will blossom all over town soon, and very soon:

June 10th through June 25th.

Visit www.artidea.org for detailed, moment by moment information.

Thank you for reading.

BE VIGITANT!

P.

--
http://woostersquarewatch.com
Numbers to keep handy:

NON-EMERGENCY Police Service – 203-946-6316
NON-EMERGENCY Fire Department – 203-946-6990
Public Works – 203-946-7700 (Pothole Repair, Recycling, Bulk Trash or Appliance Pick-Up)
Livable City Initiative (LCI- Property Division) – 203-946-2258
Tree Trimming –  203-946-8004
Elderly Services – 203-946-7854