External raid for XW-8600

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 8, 2021, 2:37:24 PM10/8/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
When I move away from my videoraid I'm a bit stuck on what to get,
bearing in mind the i/o limitations of an XW-8600 running Win7.  I have
MC running on newer kit but I need to keep my DS running for a multitude
of legacy stuff.

So... I have the SAS SCSI port on the workstation; is there a
Thunderbolt to SAS adaptor I could use?  Or USB C to SAS?

What would be my best route forwards here?

Thanks,
Tony

Glenn Sakatch

Oct 8, 2021, 3:16:04 PM10/8/21
to DS-List
I don't have DS installed anymore, so i honestly can't remember how the drive configs worked on it.
I switched to a promise raid Thunderbolt 2 when my raid died.
I then added some qnap setups with 10g when i needed lots of storage.
Again, ds was being used less and less, but i'm pretty
sure i used the qnap with it at some point.  I was on a z8200,  at the time.

My z8200 has the thunderbolt 2 card built specifically for it, so it could connect to the promise raid directly
Most  thunderbolt cards can be pretty hit and miss, based on the motherboard
you are connecting to.  Best to have one with TB built in, or designed specifically for your board.

Are you saying you have no open slots for a 10g connection or anything like that?
I think most thunderbolt adapters need the thunderbolt card in the computer, connecting to a non thunderbolt device.
I'm not sure you can go the other way around.
Their might be a mini sas to 10g convertor somewhere.

Glenn

Dermot Shane

Oct 8, 2021, 3:17:37 PM10/8/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
i have a z800/w7 for the same reason
it has a RocketRaid 6g SAS card and a 8 slot SansDigital SAS cage at the other end
over here they are both dead cheap now, but harder to find

my z820 has the HP Tbolt2 card, with an apple Tbolt2->3 adpt, correct drivers, Paragon HFS+ in play it seems to be working well aside from one brand of array (OWC)
don't think there was any pathway to Tbolt on 8600/z800

Legacy file uploads can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ds-list/d795a23b-4de6-2893-7373-9a75943aabdf%40hdheaven.co.uk.

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 8, 2021, 3:30:09 PM10/8/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
I’ll take the side off the 8600 tomorrow and see what’s in what slot.

Sent by magic over t'interweb