Significance of .xmp Sidecar files in .mxf file exports.

Jim Fink

Mar 3, 2021, 12:30:37 PM3/3/21
to DS-...@googlegroups.com
So, I am using .mxf as a Master file format to output pre-rendered clips, and to hold "same as sequence" Masters from Premiere in a 720p project.

What is the use of the .xmp files that are also generated. I am not captioning, or doing anything with these clips other than using the .mxf files as random Video Clips and Submasters, Archive Masters etc.

I just erase these .xmp files. What are the .xmp files usually used for.

Sorry for my general ignerance on this issue.!!!

Jim

--
Jim Fink

New Century Digital Media
(919) 423-4363
j...@ncdm.tv

Bob Maple

Mar 3, 2021, 12:38:12 PM3/3/21
to DS List
On 3/3/2021 10:30 AM, Jim Fink wrote:

> I just erase these .xmp files. What are the .xmp files usually used for.

They are XML files with extra metadata that Adobe generates. You don't
necessarily need them, although in some instances they are useful like
when you open camera RAW files, it will store all the settings you used.

--

| Bob Maple
| Stick it to the NSA - Get my public key at http://burner.com/about/
|
| When love is gone, there's always justice. And when justice is gone,
| there's always force. And when force is gone, there's always Mom.
| Hi, Mom! -Laurie Anderson

Keuler, Bob

Mar 4, 2021, 8:26:14 AM3/4/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

HI Jim,

I don’t use them either and you can turn off Premiere generating them.

In the Export Settings Box, go to the bottom and click on Metadata.

At the top of that box, click on the scroll down arrow and select “None”.

Remember to save over your Preset if you have one saved.

Otherwise, it’ll keep popping up when you select the preset.

Bob K.

Mar 4, 2021, 1:23:25 PM3/4/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Ahaa.. Thanks Bob & Bob.