Product advice (a lot)

Declan MacErlane

Apr 5, 2022, 12:34:52 AM4/5/22
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m looking for a bit of product advice.

I am freelance, mainly working with Avid/Resolve/Fusion for online/grade/vfx, and mainly working on tv drama and documentary. The area I enjoy the most is vfx.
I’m very busy and am thinking of changing my work dynamic, upping my rate and more remote work so I can live away from the city.

So I am considering moving from Fusion to Nuke Indie instead. I’ve read a bit and watched a few videos but am looking for some insight from anyone with more in depth experience.

How does Fusion Studio (with mocha pro, BFX, Sapphire) compare to Nuke Indie (same toolset as Nuke X) in terms of workflow, abilities, tools, speed, enjoyment?

In terms of picking up work, I imagine Nuke offers up a lot more potential employers, but is the rate better? Is it more high end? IS the work typically more rewarding? Or are most vfx employers software agnostic these days?

Most of my VFX work at the moment is more like online vfx (clean up, paint outs, screen inserts, reflection removal, sky replacement etc).

Also, re tracking, how does the Nuke 3d tracking compare to Fusion? I already use MochaPro for 2.5D but I’m considering an external 3d tracker?
PFTrack is gorgeous but I can’t justify the cost. So I’m looking at Boujou, Syntheyes or 3DEqualizer. And the footage isn’t always good ;-)
Does anyone have a strong preference between those 3?

Thanks in advance for any insights or tips or other thoughts I may not have considered.

Cheers,
Dec

Brian Bearg

Apr 20, 2022, 11:04:40 AM4/20/22
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

Just wondering who from the hive is going this year?

I’ll be there!. My very 1st time. 😊

Brian Bearg

Video Editor

Phone:   541.864.1757