Wall to Wall

Janke, Roy

Oct 2, 2021, 3:16:00 PM10/2/21
to DS-List
Anyone have any experience with Wall to Wall, a UK producton company?

Apparently they came across my old college project from 29 years ago and want to license some footage.  I've asked the contact there to elaborate, but if it's interviews, I don't have any of the releases anymore - it was, after all, a college project in 1992!

Thanks all,
Roy.

Roy Janke
Supervising Video Editor
Bell Media Studios North
9 Channel Nine Court, Scarborough, ON, M1S 4B5

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 3, 2021, 11:49:32 AM10/3/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roy,

Yeah, they're big.  They mostly do prime time documentary type stuff.  I believe they're part of Warner Bros.  If they want something they won't stiff you.  One of their programmes is "Long Lost Family" and another is "Who Do You Think You Are".  the first is self-explanatory and the second looks at your ancestors, so either of those would be potential candidates for a 30 year old film. Or of course it could be for something else entirely.

Here's some of their work: https://www.walltowall.co.uk/catalogue.aspx

Hope that helps.

T :)

Legacy file uploads can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ds-list/698ff3179d174d5694c25545650aff47%40DG7MBX01-DOR.bell.corp.bce.ca.

Janke, Roy

Oct 3, 2021, 1:44:23 PM10/3/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tone,

Somehow I knew you would know.  Still the King of All Media UK, I see.

I have s feeling this may be for something new. My nerdy college project was a short doc callee "Connect: A Look at Bulletin Board Systems".  Clearly not my most creative handiwork in a title.

One of the guys I interviewed posted it to YouTube years ago and it keeps resurfacing from time to time.

I had someone send me their multiple DVD documentary set on the same subject because they saw mine. Very kind of them.

I'm interested to see what footage Wall to Wall is seeking.  I shot it on 3/4 SP, and really don't think those tapes have made it through my multiple moves.  I need to check the basement when I get back from vacation.

Thanks again for the information.  Hope all is well on your side of the pond!

Roy.

Roy Janke
Supervising Video Editor
Bell Media Studios North
9 Channel Nine Court, Scarborough, ON, M1S 4B5

External Email: Please use caution when opening links and attachments / Courriel externe: Soyez prudent avec les liens et documents joints

Legacy file uploads can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.

Mark Hollis

Oct 3, 2021, 2:33:58 PM10/3/21
to Roy Janke
I can absolutely see a reason why someone would want that archive. BBSs pre-date the commercial development of the Internet and, after a time, there was a means by which people could communicate with each other through BBS boards in a kind of a meta-BBS message-passing system. Most of the people operating them were very altruistic, hoping to parlay their expenses into nothing more than friendships around their area or around the world. I knew a number of people who did this.

Some of the BBSs did connect to the Internet and became the first ISPs—until the Telcos killed that.

Helping with one was something I did while doing video editing in the late 1980s.

Janke, Roy

Oct 18, 2021, 11:54:17 AM10/18/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all, me again.  So I was on vacation for two weeks, during which the contact at Wall to Wall followed up asking the following:

“Can you give us an idea on licensing or tech fees?  I know they’ve been working to reduce archive costs in the series and replace items with BBC footage where they can (as a BBC show we get to use that for free) so it would be good to talk frankly about that before asking you to transfer anything if it won’t get used.”

I have no clue on what to tell them…I’ve never been asked to sell or license my footage before.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Roy.

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 18, 2021, 12:42:49 PM10/18/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Afraid I too have no idea. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who’s done this before (or bought someone else’s assets).

Just one word of warning - don’t fall for any sob story about their lack of budget. Once you’ve set a price stick to it.

Cheers,
Tone :)

Sent by magic over t'interweb

Janke, Roy

Oct 18, 2021, 1:29:33 PM10/18/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I found that comment interesting seeing as they’re owned by WB producing for BBC.  (Granted, I know all companies are trying to force reduced budgets, but it is intriguing that the comment was made pretty much right out of the gate.)

Bell_Media_Eng_Hor_Colour