What storage should I get?

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 10, 2021, 8:45:52 AM10/10/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com, Bob Maple
Hi all,

Whatever happens with my poorly VideoRaid in the short term I need to
replace it, and quickly.

I know very little about the internals of PCs, hence this email.

So... bearing in mind that SAS storage is now out of the ark, I'm
guessing either thunderbolt or USB C is the way to go?

Slots in my XW8600:

PCI slot 1 (32bit/33MHz) - free
PCI Express slot 2 (x16 Gen2) - NVIDIA graphics card
PCI Express slot 3 (x16 Gen2) - free
PCI Express slot 4 (x8/x4) - Kona
PCI Express slot 5 (x8/x4) - Kona
PCI Express slot 6 (x8/x1) - free
PCI-X slot 7 (64-bit/133MHz) - free

So I have a choice of slots 1, 3, 6, and 7 - would any of those be
okay?  Slot 7 looks good to me, but are cards available to suit?  I
don't really understand what the stuff in parenthesis means.

Does the OS (Win 7) matter to any of this?

Once I've got my i/o card installed, what's the best bang-for-the-buck
storage I should get? I'd want something greater than 7 TB.  Bear in
mind that I don't work with 4k on this machine, it's strictly HD only.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll be purchasing whatever I need in the
next day or two as I'm currently out of action with a dozen jobs sat
waiting.

Cheers in advance,
Tony

Craig Gordon

Oct 10, 2021, 9:29:42 AM10/10/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
If you are in the HD world try An esta card and array. They are inexpensive and should be compatible the older hardware.
Good luck

Craig
Cr...@brassmonkeypost.com

> On Oct 10, 2021, at 8:45 AM, Tony Quinsee-Jover <to...@hdheaven.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> --
> --
>
> Legacy file uploads can be found here:
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en
>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ds-list/254cdd10-f6eb-39c6-3f15-dde7f19f77c6%40hdheaven.co.uk.

Tony Quinsee-Jover

Oct 10, 2021, 9:49:48 AM10/10/21
to ds-...@googlegroups.com