Scheduling Open Referral video chats: Orientation and Assembly

Greg Bloom

Apr 15, 2014, 5:14:51 PM4/15/14
to openre...@googlegroups.com, dcresourc...@googlegroups.com, open-referr...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

I'm going to experiment with hosting a regular series of video chats.

We're going to try alternating between modes: in 'Orientation,' we're just going to introduce the initiative to newcomers and answer questions. (Any tricky topics that come up will be noted and deferred.) In 'Assembly,' we're going to engage on any substantive issues that have come up, and make decisions on the spot if necessary. (We will assume that anyone in 'Assembly' is relatively up to speed.)

I'd like to host the first Orientation this week, and the first Assembly next week. I think this can be done with less than an hour at a time, but to get started let's block off a full hour.

I drew up a relatively small number of possible times for Orientation this Friday and Assembly next Friday on this Doodle poll: https://doodle.com/hwn3seiu2nnigprx (note the poll is in Pacific time!!)
Let's see if something clearly works from those times.

NB: video chat is still a tricky medium that in my experience sometimes causes more headaches than it's worth -- but we're going to give it a shot. If anyone wants to participate but has never used Google Hangout, we'll try to find time beforehand to get you set up and familiar.

~greg

Greg Bloom

Apr 16, 2014, 9:09:06 PM4/16/14
to openre...@googlegroups.com, dcresourc...@googlegroups.com, open-referr...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

So it looks like we'll go with video chats on the next two Fridays at 11am PST (2pm EST).

To be clear, I'd like THIS FRIDAY to be an 'Orientation' -- meaning, we're just going to be covering the basics, catching people up to speed, taking note of questions that come up but not delving into them. NEXT FRIDAY, potentially, would be an 'Assembly,' where we'll hold space to actually discuss some of these questions face to face.

I'll note that THIS Friday has a much a smaller set of participants signed up on the Doodle, and several of those I believe are more or less up-to-speed. Depending on how this shakes out, we may decide just host an Orientation next week as well.

For all else, there's still time to sign up: https://doodle.com/hwn3seiu2nnigprx

~greg

Deborah Bey

Apr 17, 2014, 7:49:19 AM4/17/14
to DCResourc...@googlegroups.com, openre...@googlegroups.com, open-referr...@googlegroups.com
I am meeting Jenn at that time. See you all next Friday.

deborah

--

---

deborah bey
@geekyblkgirl

Greg Bloom

Apr 18, 2014, 11:53:48 AM4/18/14
to openre...@googlegroups.com, dcresourc...@googlegroups.com, open-referr...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

I'll be hosting this Orientation hangout in about two hours. Here is the link: https://plus.google.com/events/cp4ge459t9kqc7hiun8uoee4pes?authkey=CL6g45O0kfGe2wE

If you have never used Hangouts before and need some help, budget a bit of extra time before the call (11am PST / 2pm EST) and contact me directly.

I'll be giving a brief overview of the initiative, and we'll consider how each participant's role might look. Please come with your questions and suggestions, though know we'll just be taking stock during this conversation -- any topics that need deeper discussion will be simply identified and parked for later.

Right now I have Declan, Mike, Dave E, Jarred W, Tyler R, Judith M, Natalie K, and Dale F -- on the list. If your name is there and you haven't received an invite or can't access that link above, let me know via email or text at 202.643.3648

Talk soon,
~greg

Tom Pollak

Apr 18, 2014, 1:59:54 PM4/18/14
to DCResourc...@googlegroups.com
Greg - I am very sorry but I have a previously scheduled meeting.  I look forward to hearing how it goes.
All the best,
Tom
(Urban Institute)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Greg Bloom <bl...@codeforamerica.org> wrote:
[...]

tpol...@gmail.com,  tpo...@urban.org
c: 301-325-3141 --- w: 202-261-5536

Only through the bringing together of head and heart— intelligence and goodness — shall man rise to a fulfillment of his true nature...Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through constant struggle."  - Martin Luther King, Jr.