Re: [Cuba451Letters] Digest for Cuba451Letters@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Walter Skold

Dec 30, 2014, 11:40:08 AM12/30/14
to Cuba451...@googlegroups.com
Merry Christmas (still Christmas till Jan 7, right? -- Orthodox) to all on the list. Thanks for keeping it up Steve. I knew there would be a post after the recent announcement. Maybe now is the time to raise money to visit Cuba and test the openess by trying to film a short movie about the independent librarians and the great freedom Cubans enjoy?

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, <Cuba451...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Steve Marquardt <cubal...@gmail.com>: Dec 18 08:45AM -0600

Watching all the commentary about yesterday's announcement, I am reminded
of this classic quotation:

Wayne S. Smith, a former US diplomat who later was professor at Johns
Hopkins University, wrote some time ago in his *Portrait of Cuba*, "Cuba
seems to have the same effect upon American administrations that the full
moon used to have on werewolves."

Well, maybe not the *Obama* administration, as shown by very recent news,
but certainly in some corners of Congress.
Republicans do have a point about their hard line on Cuba: during the
recent half century of near total isolation, Cuba not invaded the USA.

That "isolation" did not keep Cuba from trading with dozens of nations
around the globe, nor from welcoming tourists from Canada, Mexico, Europe,
Japan, Australia, etc., etc.

Steve Marquardt
9383 123rd Avenue SE
Lake Lillian, Minnesota 56253-4700