Cuba continues raids & infiltrations of independent libraries

1 view

Steve Marquardt

May 2, 2011, 9:35:31 AM5/2/11
to cuba451letters
Despite the 2010-2011 release of all the librarians imprisoned in 2003, government agents continue to raid, confiscate and infiltrate the independent libraries and librarians.  See stories below (with my apologies for some duplication.)

Steve Marquardt, Ph.D.
South Dakota State University Dean of Libraries Emeritus
Amnesty International Legislative Coordinator for Minnesota
9383 123rd Avenue SE
Lake Lillian, Minnesota 56253-4700
(320) 664-4231
http://groups.google.com/group/Cuba451Letters

Library leader threatened, harassed

HAVANA, April 25, 2011 (Ana Aguililla/Roberto de Jesús Guerra Pérez) - Ms. Omayda Padrón Azcuy, the national coordinator of the Reinaldo Bragado Bretaña Library Network, complains that she is being threatened and harassed by the State Security police. Every Wednesday her library hosts literary discussions with intellectuals and neighborhood residents. The library, located in her home at #5 18th St. in the Vedado district, holds about a thousand volumes, many of them by authors censured in Cuba, including Álvaro Vargas Llosa, Guillermo Cabrera Infante, Reinaldo Arenas and Carlo Alberto Montaner.

In a phone conversation with reporter Roberto de Jesús Guerra, Ms. Padron said her home was visited by two police agents on April 13. "They told me they knew all about the meetings, and that they were not going to permit them any more. They said they knew everything about the foreigners who come to visit me, that I am involved with them." She said the police "want the world to see that we are mercenaries for receiving visits from foreigners." She was warned of unspecified "consequences" if she does not cease her activities.

The next day, she said, a group of vigilantes in civilian clothes "controlled her movements and harassed her wherever she went." On April 19 police agents visited her house again. When Omaida Padrón reportedly complained that they were subjecting her to repression, one of them answered: "No, if I was really repressing you, I would break down the door and drag you outside right now."

Ms. Padrón told reporter Ana Aguililla that on April 20 the police seized her identity card when she was traveling with a librarian colleague to attend a film debate at another independent library in the Capdevila district of Havana. [Editor's note: ID cards are essential for Cubans because they must be presented during such basic activities as buying rationed food or tickets for trains and inter-provincial buses.]

Sources: http://www.cubanet.org/noticias/reprimen-a-lider-de-bibliotecas-independientes/
http://www.miscelaneasdecuba.net/web/article.asp?artID=31996
Compiled and translated by the Friends of Cuban Libraries

Library raid in Pinar del Río

HAVANA, April 9, 2011 (Mario Hechavarría Driggs/www.miscelaneasdecuba.net ) - José Ramón Rivera, the director of an independent library in Pinar del Río Province, complains that a State Security major named Rafael and two police agents entered his house at #655 Garmendia St. and, without showing a warrant, took away four boxes of books, a tape recorder and an unconnected fax machine. The event occurred when he was not at home.

According to the librarian, this action, which took place on Thursday, March 17, was an abuse of authority and a robbery because the authorities are required to present a judge's order [before conducting a raid], with two witnesses to the confiscation and in the presence of the homeowner, which did not happen in this case.

José Ramón Rivera, the director of the Carlos Manuel de Céspedes Library, was summoned to appear before Lieutenant Ricardo at the local police station at 9:00 A.M. on March 19.

Source: http://www.miscelaneasdecuba.net/web/article.asp?artID=31898
Translated by the Friends of Cuban Libraries