Programming Error with Arduino Uno

John Rock

Aug 13, 2023, 12:42:55 PM8/13/23
to Crow Box Kit
Hello Everyone, I am trying to upload the Crowbox program my Arduino Uno, but I am coming up with this error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x48

Is there a step I am missing in the process, or is my Arduino Uno not functioning properly?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

John

Josh Klein

Aug 13, 2023, 12:48:36 PM8/13/23
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
ChatGPT says:

The error "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" is a common issue that Arduino users face when trying to upload a sketch to their board. It generally means that the software (Arduino IDE) is unable to communicate with the Arduino board.

Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve this issue:

Check the Board and Port Selection:

In the Arduino IDE, go to Tools > Board and ensure that the correct Arduino board is selected.
Go to Tools > Port and select the correct COM port that the Arduino is connected to. If you're unsure, you can disconnect your Arduino, see which ports are listed, reconnect your Arduino, and then select the new port that appears.

Try a Different USB Cable and Port:

Some USB cables are meant for charging only and do not transmit data. Make sure you are using a data cable. Additionally, try connecting the Arduino to a different USB port on your computer.

Reinstall Arduino Drivers:

If you are using Windows, the drivers might not have installed correctly or might have gotten corrupted. Reinstall the Arduino drivers. You can find them in the drivers folder where you installed the Arduino software.

Check Bootloader:

If you're using an Arduino clone or if there's been an issue with your bootloader, you might need to burn the bootloader again.

Press the Reset Button:

Right after you click the upload button in the Arduino IDE, press the reset button on your Arduino board. Sometimes, this can help sync the bootloader with the IDE.

Check for Circuit Issues:

If you have any shields or components connected to the Arduino, remove them and try uploading again. They might be interfering with the upload process. Ensure that there's nothing connected to pins 0 and 1, as these are the RX and TX pins and can interfere with the uploading process.

Update Arduino IDE:

If you're using an older version of the Arduino IDE, consider updating it. Sometimes, compatibility issues or bugs can be the cause of the problem.

Change Programmer:

In the Arduino IDE, go to Tools > Programmer and try selecting a different programmer. "AVRISP mkII" is a common default for many boards, but depending on your board and setup, another option might be more appropriate.

External Interferences:

If you have any other software open that might be trying to access the same COM port (like serial monitors or other programming platforms), close them.

Burn Bootloader (Advanced):

If you suspect the bootloader on your Arduino might be corrupt or missing, you can try burning it again. This requires an external programmer and is a more advanced solution.

Check for Physical Damage:

Inspect the Arduino board for any signs of damage, burnt components, or anything unusual. If you find any damage, it's possible the board might be unusable.

If you've tried all these steps and still face the issue, consider seeking help from a dedicated Arduino forum or community, or it might be time to try a different Arduino board.

Hopefully one of these does the trick!

- J

Michael Kapp

Aug 13, 2023, 4:54:23 PM8/13/23
to Crow Box Kit
John,
Is your Arduino a clone of some kind?
Here is a good video about the problem: https://www.programmingelectronics.com/avrdude-stk500_recv/

A stupid/common fix for me is just moving it to a different USB port.

If you are still struggling with this, please reach out. I'll help you figure it out.

____
As an aside, chatGPT is AWESOME, but it is still earlier on and I have personally spun my wheels when it comes to debugging code.

According to the study, the well-articulated responses ChatGPT outputs caused the users to overlook incorrect information in the answers.

Again, I am ALL for it, just need to be mindful.

Thanks

John Rock

Aug 15, 2023, 5:48:32 PM8/15/23
to Crow Box Kit
Thanks Josh and Mike for the great suggestions. Turns out the board was no good! I was using an Arduino Uno board (not a clone), and after getting a replacement board, it immediately recognized the Com port it was connected to, and quickly uploaded the program. Now onto wiring it, and hopefully deploy the crow box real soon.

John