Crows Vs Starling Jays

Duncan McAlpine

Feb 27, 2024, 1:25:25 PMFeb 27
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
I'll have four crows waiting for me in the morning for food but the Starling Jays steal majority of the food.

Any tips preventing this from happening?

I'm sorry but i can't build the crow box.

Duncan

Josh Klein

Feb 28, 2024, 7:07:25 AMFeb 28
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
That's tricky, but I'd suggest you keep an eye out for where the jays are caching the food. We had a site with exactly this problem, and what we discovered was that the jays were caching the food - either in the lawn or in a tree - and the crows were then immediately stealing it.

We ended up moving sites before resolving the issue, but I hypothesize that the crows would/could have eventually grown comfortable with the feeder and decided to circumvent the jays and go straight to the source. Or, try putting in types of food that are too unwieldy for Jays but attractive to crows (like an egg). That said, we solved the problem with the latest CrowBox design which allowed us to set a weight limit on what would open the box such that jays weren't included - so YMMV!

All best,
Josh

Michael Kapp

Feb 28, 2024, 11:21:11 PMFeb 28
to Crow Box Kit
Josh,
What is this new version? What kind of sensor and/or mechanism is it using now?
Thanks,
MK

Josh Klein

Feb 29, 2024, 5:21:23 AMFeb 29
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Same version on the website, using a pressure sensor.

- J