Crowbox Stage 1- questions and small bird video footage

Elizabeth

Apr 19, 2021, 6:01:01 PM4/19/21
to Crow Box Kit
The box is out!  A lot of smaller birds and (of course) squirrels found it instantly.

Two minor questions- how long do boxes usually stay in the first phase after you have crows as regular visitors? I don't expect that to happen soon at all, but right now I'm not sure how long to wait. Also, can anyone positively identify that bird? We have a bunch of them, and it's hard to tell them apart from other similar little brown ones.

Thanks!

Kristy Gould

Apr 19, 2021, 6:02:27 PM4/19/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
That is a tufted titmouse.

Kristy L. Gould, Ph.D.
Department Head, Psychology
Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
Luther College
Decorah, IA 52101

Elizabeth

Apr 19, 2021, 6:41:25 PM4/19/21
to Crow Box Kit
Ah, the tufted titmouse isn't quite in our geographical range, but it is definitely an oak titmouse, which seems to be the California equivalent. Thanks!

Kristy Gould

Apr 19, 2021, 6:43:25 PM4/19/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that makes sense based on your location!

Josh Klein

Apr 20, 2021, 11:25:25 AM4/20/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, Elizabeth! Times vary *considerably* - we've seen huge variance in how long it takes different birds to approach the box. If you're in an area with copious food and old birds they might be very wary / have more options to exploit first - or not. Be patient, and keep us posted!

- J