Crows vs Starling Jays

Backyardgardener, LLC

Oct 17, 2022, 11:01:32 AM10/17/22
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
I have group of three crows I feed every morning but now the Jays are competing for the food.  I don’t mind feeding the birds but the Jays seem to take three peanuts on every visit vS one.

Anyone have a suggestion to make it harder for the jays from eating so many peanuts?

The Northern Flickers show up when I put out regular bird feed.

I have a water trough next to the feeding bowl and it’s interesting watching the birds drink water and use the water to soften the peanut shell at times.

Still waiting for the Chickadee to try out this new bird feeder.

Sorry, I can’t afford this group feeding system.

Salvo Vhett

Oct 17, 2022, 11:42:52 PM10/17/22
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
I have stellar jays that frequent my Crow Box. They are trainable as well. I think its been mentioned, the Crows will hang back, let the Jays get the peanuts, then raid the Jay's stash when the go back for more. Crows won't come near my box.

Josh Klein

Oct 18, 2022, 4:41:20 AM10/18/22
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any ideas for managing jays? We've seen this problem before a few times, and would love to find a solution!

- J