Crow box on the balcony with large windows

Marian

Apr 26, 2021, 2:05:49 PM4/26/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hello everyone,

I came across the CrowBox project some time ago. So far, however, I always had excuses why I do not try it. Finally, I would like to order the parts now. I only have a smaller balcony with a larger glass front. I work all day in the room that borders the balcony. If the crows can see through the glass, they would be able to see me all day in the home office. Unfortunately, I do not have a garden. Do you think it is worthwhile to try to attract the crows further?
Today I built a small rack and put peanuts on it to test whether the crows arrive and eat from it. So far, however, without success. We have neighbors, of course, and under the balcony runs a road. One sees nevertheless often the crows on the house opposite of us sit. Approximately 300 meters away is a park in which plenty of crows live.

Have you already made experiences with similar environmental conditions and the CrowBox?
Can I maybe shield the view through the windows with a plate or a cloth, or do crows care rather less if there is a human behind a glass nearby?

Best regards from Germany

Marian

Marian

Apr 26, 2021, 2:10:59 PM4/26/21
to Crow Box Kit
PXL_20210426_143104813.jpg

PXL_20210426_175049646.jpg

Got the pictures of the acutal setup right here.

Adam

Apr 26, 2021, 6:52:38 PM4/26/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
If you want to still be able to see the crows, without them seeing you, look up one way perforated film.

It's relatively inexpensive and if you don't like it you can peel it off.

Adam

Josh Klein

Apr 27, 2021, 5:37:46 AM4/27/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
+1. IMHO you're likely to have better luck if crows can't see you, but you should put food out and see if you can attract them before you do anything else regardless!

- J

Marian

Apr 27, 2021, 2:15:09 PM4/27/21
to Crow Box Kit
Thanks for the tips. Then I'll wait and see if the crows approach. In a week I will report how the experiment went.
Message has been deleted

Marian

Apr 28, 2021, 12:33:03 PM4/28/21
to Crow Box Kit
I have found such foil in our attic. We have already used them to darken the bedroom. From one side it is transparent from the other side it reflects. The crows are then probably irritated by their reflection / the reflecting sun or? Otherwise, I would try the film before buying the transparent perforated film for windows.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Marian

Apr 28, 2021, 12:37:09 PM4/28/21
to Crow Box Kit
PXL_20210428_161058596.jpg    PXL_20210428_161102670.jpg

Marian

May 14, 2021, 11:01:37 AM5/14/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hello guys,

I tried around a bit more with different nuts. I could not attract crows so far, however, the last three days magpies have come by and have grabbed the nuts. It seems that they have understood that there is food here more often now. They don't seem to mind that I'm working behind the glass about 10 feet away from them, and they also can't see the landing area completely.
Magpie.png

michele...@gmail.com