Hi from the UK

Andy

Jan 10, 2018, 7:25:53 AM1/10/18
to Crow Box Kit
Hi, I've just found out about this project and read up on everything I can find here and on thecrowbox.com. Is there anybody else from the UK that has built one of these or is interested in doing so?

I see kits haven't been available for some time. I have the electronics and fabrication skills to design and build my own box, but it would be good to learn from others experiences (I've seen Steve Joy's videos).

I'm starting by just leaving out food to try and attract crows. I've tried peanuts, dry cat food, and 'cheese puffs' (I think these are the UK equivalent of Cheetos). Pigeons take all the nuts, neighbours cats steal the cat food, and a solitary magpie will take a few of the cheese puffs. No crows yet (that I've seen) though they are around.

James Schindler-Ord

Sep 5, 2018, 6:48:51 PM9/5/18
to Crow Box Kit
I'm in the UK and have also just found this, I am interested in buying a kit if you have the equipment to do the laser cutting?

Josh Klein

Sep 5, 2018, 7:39:11 PM9/5/18
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
We can’t so the cutting, but would love to be able to list reputable cutting sources in the UK if you can verify one!! Let us know what else we can do to help; I expect the coin slots and feeder will need to be modified to fit your coinage, for example.

- Josh

Nathan P

Feb 24, 2023, 1:39:58 PM2/24/23
to Crow Box Kit
1) Are pigeons trainable?
2) Are pigeons about the same level of trainability as Crows?
Thank you.

Stephen Chasey

Feb 28, 2023, 8:33:47 AM2/28/23
to Crow Box Kit
Hello,

I'm not in the UK, but not too far away in Amsterdam. I have not built a Crow Box, but like you have some electronics and mechanical experience. I ended up designing and building my own version (Vending Machine for Birds) of this and have been running it periodically for about 8 months. I use shelled peanuts, and like you have a pigeon problem. Peanuts in the shell seem to be the best option - pigeons can't eat them, cats don't like them and they are a favorite or most corvids. I'm redesigning my dispenser to handle these - they are much larger, less dense and jam easier than shelled peanuts.

Magpies are able to use a vending feeder - check out Hans Forsberg's or Tomas and Olof Morsing's Youtube videos. If you are geting magpies, that is good :) Jackdaws are also capable of this.

Pigeons are very trainable, but not to the extent that crows are. I understand that pigeons' brains lack a prefrontal cortex that is used to understand cause and effect for complex tasks. That being said I have videos of them pulling bottlecaps from a magazine and dropping them in the hole to get a peanut over and over. I don't know if they will get to the point where they bring items I have not provided for them, but they get the concept.

Nathan P

Feb 28, 2023, 11:09:13 AM2/28/23
to Crow Box Kit
I live in New York City and we have a lot of pigeons, so I have to work with what I have. Can you build one for me which goes from coins to 2 different sized treats I can switch between (1 size for crows’ favorite and 1 for pigeons’ favorite) with the coin slot and dispenser next to eachother like a human gumball machine, so the bird doesn’t have to move again or look in a different direction to get the treat after inputting the coin?
Thank you.

Michael Kapp

Apr 3, 2023, 2:59:47 PM4/3/23
to Crow Box Kit
src...,
Would you please kind enough to elaborate on your version? Do you have any videos/pictures/write ups on your version anywhere?
Thank you,
MK

Stephen Chasey

Apr 4, 2023, 1:43:11 PM4/4/23
to Crow Box Kit
Hello,

Sure - I've been documenting my project on hackaday.io here: https://hackaday.io/project/184754-vending-machine-for-birds

There are some videos of birds using the feeder, a scchematic and BOM, lots of project logs and descriptions of the 3 versions I have built so far.

Steve

Stephen Chasey

Apr 4, 2023, 1:47:06 PM4/4/23
to Crow Box Kit
I've also been keeping track of other projects related to this here: https://hackaday.io/project/184754-vending-machine-for-birds/log/207933-other-bird-litter-for-food-projects

If you know of one I failed to mention, feel free to let me know.

Steve

Michael Kapp

Apr 4, 2023, 3:16:20 PM4/4/23
to Crow Box Kit
Steve (src...),
I did not stumble upon your hackaday project during my research. I guess I was looking too much into "crow" variations.

I am actually in the process of writing up an instructable for this project. I have a few reasons, but in short,
  • Promote the project on another platform
  • Provide my build notes (streamline build for others)
  • Provide ideas / models for enhancements to the crowbox and completely new designs
I'm currently at 22 pages and learning how to design a PCB for the current crowbox.
I also am working on a very basic / cheap design. It is hard to keep cheap...   (similar to steve joys)

I have a lot of ideas I would like to incorporate in a crowbox 2.0 (or 3.0), but opening the food container cover rather than dropping food is a major limiting factor.
Unfortunately, the acrylic seems to be too although it does make it look nice.

Looks like you beat me to it lol

I will read through all your documentation and probably reach out soon. I would like discuss your design and maybe do a build.

Thanks,
MK

Stephen Chasey

Apr 4, 2023, 6:35:09 PM4/4/23
to Crow Box Kit
Hi MK,

I'm also knee-deep in Kicad for this. A friend of mine and I managed to create a basic SMD PCB and send to PCBWay for fab. Now working on a through-hole PCB for the VMFB. I'll post the kicad files to Hackaday once I am certain they work. I will have extras and you are welcome to one once they arrive. I think I'll be able to order in a week or so.

Steve

Michael Kapp

Apr 9, 2023, 7:37:20 AM4/9/23
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
Converting your project to using a PCB was my first thought.... lol

Does your PCB version save you a ton of space? I would imagine it does.

I have no background/experience with developing PCBs, but I have wanted to learn. My thought was this crowbox project could benefit from it and it is pretty basic circuit (easy learning curve).
I started a little with tinkercad circuits, then switched to fritzing which gave me a really good perspective and now I am learning Kicad. (debating on Eagle since I use Fusion 360)
Digitkey Red was the cheapest PCBs I could find, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for offering the PCBs. Do you have a rough figure for the cost of your version? Or a rough breakdown of component parts costs vs housing costs vs PCB costs?

Thanks,
MK

Thank you,
Michael T. Kapp
Cell - (856)-628-0497

Nathan

Apr 9, 2023, 7:37:25 AM4/9/23
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
None. Looking for someone to design and build a test one for me. Thank you.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Michael Kapp

Apr 14, 2023, 4:40:20 AM4/14/23
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
Can your design be scheduled to drop food at a specific time?
I really want to have a design where the food is dropped at an early morning time and maybe again in the afternoon completely automatically for Stage 1.
Thanks,
MK

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 6:01 AM Stephen Chasey <src...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi MK,

I have some rough estimates. PCB should be <10, electronics about 20, and the enclosure around 30.

Will have a more precise estimate on the PCB and electronics BOM once the PCB is completed.

Steve

Stephen Chasey

Apr 15, 2023, 12:52:39 AM4/15/23
to Crow Box Kit
At the moment it can be set to dispense every X minutes. I'm adding some lines to the PCB design so it can be monitored and controlled by a microcontroller or SBC, which would allow you to schedule timed dispensing among other things.

Steve