iSCSI protocol stack

vishal...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2007, 6:29:40 PM1/8/07
to Core-iSCSI
Hello:

I am a newcomer to iSCSI world and have a question:

Ques: What is most popular/stable iSCSI target protocol stack?

So far, I have found IET (freeware), intel-iscsi (freeware) and Chelsio

(not_free) etc.

If someone could please provide pointers to other stacks and maybe
share their experiences with different iSCSI implementations, I will
really appreciate that!

Thanks,
Vishal.
PS: If this is not the right forum to address this question, I
apologize! Please point me to the direct one.

Emmanuel Florac

Jan 10, 2007, 3:38:25 AM1/10/07
to Core-...@googlegroups.com
2007/1/9, vishal...@gmail.com <vishal...@gmail.com>:

Hello:

Happy New Year :)

Ques: What is most popular/stable iSCSI target protocol stack?

Most use iet ( Openfiler, etc). iet is stable and powerful. Many configuration options, high performance.  However it needs a recent kernel ( 2.6.14 and up ).

So far, I have found IET (freeware), intel-iscsi (freeware) and Chelsio
(not_free) etc.

I don't know intel-iscsi. Any input on this one welcome too. However I'm very happy with iet by now.

Ming Zhang

Jan 10, 2007, 10:42:36 AM1/10/07
to Core-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 09:38 +0100, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> 2007/1/9, vishal...@gmail.com <vishal...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello:
>
> Happy New Year :)
>

> Ques: What is most popular/stable iSCSI target protocol stack?
>
> Most use iet ( Openfiler, etc). iet is stable and powerful. Many
> configuration options, high performance. However it needs a recent
> kernel ( 2.6.14 and up ).

small fix. u can back port to lower kernel version if you want. not
difficult.

> So far, I have found IET (freeware), intel-iscsi (freeware)
> and Chelsio
> (not_free) etc.
>
> I don't know intel-iscsi. Any input on this one welcome too. However
> I'm very happy with iet by now.

intel-iscsi is a user space implementation, easier to install. good
performance.

--
http://blackmagic02881.wordpress.com/

Emmanuel Florac

Jan 12, 2007, 3:48:40 PM1/12/07
to Core-...@googlegroups.com

2007/1/10, Ming Zhang <blackma...@gmail.com>:
intel-iscsi is a user space implementation, easier to install. good
performance.

I suppose it's not as  fast as iet,  is it?

Ming Zhang

Jan 14, 2007, 2:44:39 PM1/14/07
to Core-...@googlegroups.com

i never do performance comparison between intel code and iet. some
people i know use intel iscsi code and they think the performance is ok.

--
http://blackmagic02881.wordpress.com/