On the Table-- June 3 through 9

Mike Stavlund

Jun 7, 2019, 9:41:14 AM6/7/19
to Common Table Church
If you're following the church email list, several weeks ago you saw a rather sobering financial report from our Money Monkey, Mike Croghan.  In his comments, he encouraged us to plan some monthly meetings for discernment as our church rapidly approaches financial insolvency.
Thankfully, our Money Monkey is also a noted regional guru on contemplative practices as well as individual and group discernment!  He's been very helpful, thoughtful, and forthcoming about his recommendations for this Sunday.
First:  Homework!  Please review the money report, think about the facts of the situation (which most of us are very familiar with), ask any questions, and reflect on how you feel called at this point.   Basically, to engage with the 'business side' of the issue *before* our meeting on Sunday.
Second:  Discernment!  I'll open our meeting on Sunday with a brief 'State of the Church' as I see it, and then (rather than rapid-fire discussion) Mike Croghan will lead us into slow discernment practices with periods of silent prayer and meditation on John 14:8-17.  Our question for discernment is: "God, where would you have us, the Church of the Common Table, go from here?" We will close our time with a celebration of the Eucharist.
It'll be a full slate for Sunday, so please do your best to arrive by 10:15.  We'll be in the education wing of Church of the Good Shepherd.  Follow the signs (and tables!) to our space at the end of the hallway.  We hope to see you there!
--Mike Stavlund