Peel Community Consultation on Racial Justice - ONLINE ( March 30 - 9:30am - 12noon ) + COVID-19 tools !

Colour of Poverty

Mar 25, 2020, 3:21:38 PM3/25/20
to Colour of Change Network

Colour of Change Network members - firstly we trust that all of you are well and that you're practising healthy and responsible physical or spacial distancing - and continuing to engage in actions and behaviours that work to build, nurture and sustain social connection and solidarity as we all work to weather these unique and challenging COVID-19 times !

And as we've just commemorated March 21, 2020 - International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - https://www.un.org/en/observances/end-racism-day - and March 22, 2020 - World Water Day - https://www.worldwaterday.org/ - with the March 25, 2020 - Ontario Fiscal/Financial/Economic Update or Statement - here's a few related pieces and a reminder for those in and around Peel Region - of our local on-line conversation ( March 30 ) on racial justice change-making - where we are ? where we need to be ? - and how we get there !?

See below two COVID-19 related responses and campaigns - one Canadian - addressing anti-Chinese and other related racism and faithism - and the second - Vietnamese and Thai - coming at it through a public health education and promotion frame !

hasmatsuit.png

"Stop the Spread of Racism" Campaign - from the Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice !

To combat growing xenophobia as a result of the Coronavirus, The Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice teamed up with "The Hive" advertising/marketing house to launch “Stop The Spread”, a campaign featuring a hand sanitizer with custom warning messages about combating racism - see - https://vimeo.com/395388535  Learn more at - StopTheSpread.ca

Vietnamese anti-COVID-19 public health video - Ghen Cô Vy| NIOEH x K.HƯNG x MIN x ERIK - WASHING HAND SONG - CORONA SONG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtulL3oArQw and a related Tik Tok Challenge re the Vietnamese anti-COVID-19 public health video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owcdxs_7dWw - and - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3HjhevnwA0 - and from the Bangkok Thailand public transit authority - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrU8bpK40Ec - and - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2EBlz07YTE

Further information regarding our Peel Region racial justice change-making conversation-consultation -

Peel Community Conversation on Anti-Racism ( ONLINE )
Monday, March 30, 2020
9:30 am to 12:00 pm
ONLINE: Link to join will be sent to registrants

Please join us on Monday, March 30th as we hold space for a Community Conversation on racism, discrimination, and related intolerance to support and learn from local leaders and community.

What to expect:
  • An introduction to the work of Colour of Poverty--Colour of Change
  • An overview of the government's proposed National Anti-Racism Strategy
  • A collaborative local (Peel and surrounding areas) strategy session around the National Anti-Racism Strategy
  • Develop next steps

We hope to learn more about and amplify priorities of Indigenous Peoples and Peoples of Colour in Peel to inform our ongoing and future work for social justice and racial equity in Ontario. We will also share recently developed tools and resources.

Hosted by Colour of Poverty - Colour of Change (with support from local organizations)
Logistical support/organizing by QTBIPOC sauga

If you have trouble with registering through Eventbrite, you can RSVP directly to Anu Radha Verma, qtbipo...@gmail.com

For more information, please contact COP-COC Project Coordinator, Jassi Ranauta at: jaspree...@gmail.com.

--

michael kerr