Fight COVID Racism - a new online incident-experience reporting tool !

Colour of Poverty

May 29, 2020, 3:20:06 PM5/29/20
to Colour of Change Network
Colour of Change Network members - see below the call from the project partners/co-sponsors to help circulate the online reporting tool - www.covidracism.ca - part of theEmpowering, Engaging, and Equipping Canadians to Combat Anti-Asian Racism” project - see below and please help post, share and circulate - fyi - michael

  image.png

Since January, 2020, we have seen a rise of racism in Canada, targeting mostly but not exclusively Chinese Canadians and Asian Canadians.  Fear and hatred have led some Canadians to blame Chinese Canadians for bringing the virus to Canada.  The pandemic provides an excuse for those who have long harboured racist ideology towards Chinese Canadians in particular and Asian Canadians in general to act out their belief.

In order to properly document these incidents of racism and related intolerance towards people of Asian descent, as well as other People of Colour and Indigenous Peoples, the Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter (CCNCTO) has launched an online reporting tool: www.covidracism.ca.  The tool is part of theEmpowering, Engaging, and Equipping Canadians to Combat Anti-Asian Racism” project funded by Canadian Heritage. Other partners of the project are: Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice, Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic, and Civic Engagement Network.  The result of the reporting tool will be analysed and released in the months ahead, and will form part of our recommendations for policy change to address the underlying structural and systemic racism in the long run.

We ask you to help us share the reporting tool with your network, members, staff and clients of your organization, as appropriate. We also ask you to share it within your own personal circle. If you have witnessed these incidents, or have experienced such incidents yourself, we encourage you to file your report.  Thank you.

Yours truly,

Avvy Yao-Yao Go

Barrister & Solicitor

Clinic Director