Proceedings of Cloud Standards Summit + Cloud Storefront Standards and Compliance Session

Bob Marcus

Jul 21, 2009, 2:26:39 PM7/21/09
to CloudS...@googlegroups.com

The Proceedings from the Cloud Standards Summit are available. All of the slides should be posted shortly.

At the Cloud Computing Symposium on July 15, Vivek Kundra (US government CIO) strongly promoted the building of a Federal Cloud Storefront.  This will be a centralized site enabling federal agencies to obtain Cloud resources on a pay-per-use basis.  There is an opportunity for CSloud standards coordination to support this government initiative and similar future Storefronts. For example, creating a consensus on  recommended minimal standards and  associated compliance tests for Cloud resources to be included in the Storefront will add great value. These type of guidelines are essential to ensure that the Storefront supplies resources that fit into enterprise-wide architectures.   One example of a minimal standard is well-defined processes and formats for moving data/metadata in and out of Cloud resources.  Note that the government could add more detailed requirements on top of the minimal foundation standards.

The Network Centric Operations Industry Consortium (NCOIC) has offered to host a Session on "Standardizations for Cloud Storefronts" at its Plenary in Fairfax, Va on Monday, September 21. Senior government IT leaders working on the Cloud Storefront will be invited to provide input and attend.  There will probably only be time for a summarized presentation of the recommended  consensus minimal standards and compliance tests.  Hopefully this consensus can be achieved before the Session by discussions of the cloud-standards.org participants.  The summarized presentation can be delivered by multiple speakers discussing standards in their area of expertise. Let me know your feedback on this type of Session. Thanks.

Bob Marcus

P.S.  Below is a list of possible standardizations areas from the Summit Report. What do you think are the minimal standardizations (and related compliance tests) in these areas needed for Cloud Storefronts?

* Security (e.g. authentication, authorization)
* Interfaces to IaaS (e.g., compute, storage)
* PaaS & deployment model formats for Cloud applications
        - Resource descriptions (Required, Available)
        - Service & SLA models
* Management Frameworks
        - Governance and Policy Enforcement
        - Regulatory agreements (e.g. Data location and security)
        - SLA formats (e.g. Performance, Availability)
* Portable component descriptions (e.g. VM’s)
* Data exchange formats (to and from Clouds)
* Cloud Taxonomies and Reference Models

l...@aero.org

Jul 21, 2009, 3:15:57 PM7/21/09
to CloudS...@googlegroups.com

Bob, et al.,

While I think the current list of possible areas of standardization is a good first cut,
the issue of standards for Cloud Storefronts depends on what Cloud Storefronts
will encompass.  What area of "clouds" will Storefronts initially focus on?  SaaS?  Iaas?
What usage models are they envisioning?  Do they know, or are the details still
on the drawing boards?

I suspect that this might be one of the main topics at the NCOIC mtg in Sept.
I would, however, like to get some insight into these questions sooner than later.
This would greatly help us focus on the key capabilities and any required standards.

Do you think we might be able to set up some telecons w/ the SDOs and the
appropriate govvies?

On the UK side, I'm asking all the same questions wrt the G-Cloud Initiative.
I've asked Ian Osborne to ping John Suffolk, whom he knows through
other interactions.  Clearly there might be synergies between the two efforts.

--Craig

Brand

Jul 22, 2009, 8:50:22 AM7/22/09
to CloudSeeding
Bob, I think a key standard for interoperable data exhange to and
between clouds is Open Liked Data - please see
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/newsroom/news_releases/2009/090610_web.aspx
and http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/GovData

Brand