Tsubo and Flowers At Nanai Station

Lee Love

May 30, 2005, 9:11:38 AM5/30/05
to Clay...@googlegroups.com
We saw this pot of flowers at our neighborhood trains station (very
small, one stop after Mashiko) on our way to Tokyo. It is tenmoku with
kaki splashes. Sometimes at our doctor's office, you can see Hamada
vases with flowers in the waiting room. The father of our doctor used to
be Hamada's doctor.

http://togei.blogspot.com/

--
李 Lee Love 大
愛      鱗

"With Humans it's what's here (he points to his heart) that makes the difference. If you don't have it in the heart, nothing you make will make a difference." ~~Bernard Leach~~ (As told to Dean Schwarz)

Mike Martino

May 30, 2005, 5:34:16 PM5/30/05
to Clay...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lee,

It says "mashiko yaki tousei sanshaku taiko" (mashiko ware ceramic 3
shaku drum)
I think a 'shaku' is equal to ten 'sun'. I don't have my ruler with me
but I think the 'sun' is 3.03cm.

I have a tape measure that is in centimeters and shaku/sun that I bought
for measuring pots. For some reason the potters down here tend to
measure pot sizes traditionally rather than metrically. Do they do the
same in Shimaoka san's workshop?

The big letters are the name of the object, but the last two I'm not
sure about because the furigana is blurred. My first impulse is to think
"mashiko tenjin", but it might be too easy. If they have the furigana
hovering above the kanji its probably because the reading is unusual.

Mike

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mike martino
in taku, japan

muc...@potteryofjapan.com
www.potteryofjapan.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lee In Mashiko, Japan

May 31, 2005, 9:21:34 PM5/31/05
to Clay...@googlegroups.com
Mike! Thanks for the Taiko info!

Yes, they use the traditional carpenter's measure of tsun and shaku in
Mashiko. It is what I use for all my toombo measurements. I
have a 5 tsun toombo I used at Shimaoka's, that I base my shrink
ruler on. I took a bamboo strip (bought at the 100 yen store, four in
a pack), and a sharpie and I measured out every 5 tsun and then divided
those into 5. Works great. I don't have to make a new toombo for
each plate size.

Lee In Mashiko, japan

Lee In Mpls, MN

Feb 15, 2017, 2:43:39 PM2/15/17
to ClayCraft, Clay...@googlegroups.com
Wow!   This still works!

rickma...@comcast.net

Feb 15, 2017, 2:52:38 PM2/15/17
to group, claycraft
I have an old bamboo rule from Japan, maybe prewar or immediate post war.  I think it is marked in Tsun (no writing just burned in marks).

Rick

Feb 15, 2017, 3:00:24 PM2/15/17
to ClayCraft
Hi Rick!

          It seems that different crafts have different rulers.   The tailor's ruler is not the same as the carpenter's ruler.
             I use my carpenter's shaku ruler when I throw plates off the hump.

Claycraft on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/claycraft/
---

 Lee Love  in Longfellow,Minneapolis, MN USA

 "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue

rickma...@comcast.net

Feb 15, 2017, 3:12:43 PM2/15/17
to group, claycraft
OH, I bet is in shaku!  I recall that 1 shaku is close to 1 inch.  Is my memory correct, Lee?

Rick

Lee Love

Muddy Fingers Pottery

Feb 15, 2017, 3:15:00 PM2/15/17
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I've worked out the shrinkage of my clay(11.5%) and lasercut some rulers out of clear acrylic 11.5% bigger.
Great for all things.

Marv Kitshaw
@muddyfingerspot
No.9 Royal Ind Est,
Blackett St
Jarrow
NE323HR
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to claycraft+...@googlegroups.com.

Lee Love

Feb 15, 2017, 3:48:21 PM2/15/17
to ClayCraft
Marv,

        What you did was close enough, but for a more accurate measure you have to add a little more to get the correct shrinkage because you are dealing with what is left, not how much shrank. 113 to be closer.

  Here is a chart and math I made for folks on Clayart:

Another way to do it, (especially if you have difficulty drawing straight

lines), is to take a normal ruler to the xerox machine or scanner and change the
percentage of the copy to match your shrinkage. Below is a list of shrinkage
percentages and percentage of enlargement. You can probably round off to the
nearest whole number, but I take it two decimal points:

10% = 111.11% enlargement
11% = 112.36
11.5% = 113
12% = 113.64
12,5% = 114.29
13% = 114.94
14% = 116.28

You can use the example below for 10% to figure out any percentage (just
subtract the shrinkage from 100%
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if 90/100 = 100/x
therefore 90x = (100 X 100)
therefore x = (100 X 100)/90
therefore x = 10000/90
therefore x = 111.11

90% of 111.11 equals 99.99
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really, all you are doing is dividing 10000 (100 X 100) by the shrinkage like
so:

for 10% 10000 divided by 90
for 11% 10000 divided by 89

and so forth.

I was in the middle of my apprenticeship when this first came up and
didn't have time to even think about it. Now, I have more time. :^)

Laminate the photocopy to make it last.

Lee In Mpls, MN

Sep 23, 2019, 6:16:18 PM9/23/19
to ClayCraft
Can you share a photo Rick?

Rick Mahaffey

Sep 23, 2019, 11:41:34 PM9/23/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Lee,
I will have to look for the rule.  When I find it I will share the photo.

Rick

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to claycraft+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/claycraft/23c2b9f2-51a4-4d0b-9e76-149ca4d20253%40googlegroups.com.