Cicadas not calling much in CenTex

Mike Quinn

Jun 28, 2011, 12:57:17 PM6/28/11
to TXENTO, Cicadas-of-Texas
Lisa O'Donnell of the City of Austin asks about the lack of cicadas she's used to hearing at this time of yr. I suspect the drought-induced hardening of the soil is one thing that's holding them back.

Per the following data I compiled from BugGuide, we should currently be in high cicada season...

The number of TX cicada pix by month as posted to BugGuide:

Apr: 1
May: 15
Jun: 29
Jul: 38
Aug: 25
Sep: 14
Oct: 3
Nov: 1

Anyone else noticing a lack of cicadas?

Thanks, Mike Quinn, Austin

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM, O'Donnell, Lisa <Lisa.O...@ci.austin.tx.us> wrote:
Hi Mike,

I keep waiting for the cicadas to start singing, but other than one or two, haven't heard the cacophonies so typical of our summers.  Just wondered if you have noticed this?  Since they are so "vocal", do you think they could be a good indicator species for climate/other environmental change?

<s>

Lisa

Chuck Davis

Jun 29, 2011, 12:31:19 PM6/29/11
to cicadas-...@googlegroups.com
I'm hearing a few in La Porte (NW shore of Galveston Bay) but like Lisa, so far non of the cacophonies like previous summers (at least since I've been paying attention).

Chuck Davis
La Porte, TX