Giant Cicada calling at Llano Grande State Park, Hidalgo Co. - Feb 17, 21 - very early

Mike Quinn

Feb 22, 2017, 11:10:07 AM2/22/17
to TXENTO
Out of season song by giant cicada being heard at Llano Grande State Park, Weslaco. They usually don't start singing until June or July...

Feb 17(!) - calling close to dusk at the Pauraque hall garden at Estero Llano Grande State Park, Weslaco, Hidalgo Co. - Rick Snider, Park Host
Feb 21 - ostensibly the same individual called again at 6:30PM dusk - Estero Llano Grande State Park, Weslaco, Hidalgo Co. - Rick Snider, Park Host

Link to Rick Snider's short video at my website:

Giant Cicada / Chicharra Grande
Quesada gigas (Olivier)
http://texasento.net/Cicada.htm

I welcome any feedback on the significance of this report.

Thanks,

Mike Quinn, Austin
Texas Entomology
http://texasento.net