CHARTWELL MANOR

1 view

nmcoates

Mar 17, 2022, 5:42:31 PM3/17/22
to Church...@googlegroups.com
In one of those
examples of synchronicity, last night the Australian Broadcasting Corporation
(ABC) broadcast the BBC program Antiques Roadshow Series 42 Episode 3
"Salisbury Cathedral 1".

 One item is a
letter dated 20 Sep 1927 from WSC to the artist Walter Sickert, a family friend
of Clementine’s inviting him to Chartwell to discuss painting.  It is on
Chartwell letterhead paper with the address "CHARTWELL MANOR, / WESTERHAM,
/ KENT."

 WSC reports the
visit in a letter to Clementine dated 26 Sep 1927 so is evidence to support the
authenticity of the letter.  [Winston S. Churchill by Martin Gilbert,
Volume V, 1922-1939, Heinemann, London, 1976 (rep 1990) page 244 and Speaking
for Themselves ... edited by ... Mary Soames, Doubleday, London, 1998 pages
308, 309]

This episode of
Antiques Roadshow was first broadcast in the UK on 15 Sep 2019.  It is no
longer available on the BBC website but is on the ABC website at:

https://iview.abc.net.au/programs/antiques-roadshow/ZW2931A003S00

Copyright
limitations may prevent access from outside Australia but it may be available
on other streaming sites.  Note that the IMDB entry for this episode is
incorrect.

Regards

Neil Coates

David Riddle

Mar 18, 2022, 5:58:29 PM3/18/22
to church...@googlegroups.com
My apologies if I have missed the context of this post, but I’m not too sure why the authenticity, or otherwise, of this letter is being questioned since Walter Sickert was a fairly regular visitor to Chartwell, and his name appears in at least one of the House visitor books.

If the issue is whether or not the particular letter is actually a ‘fake’, then I can’t comment, but the event or events certainly occurred.

David Riddle
Previously Chartwell Volunteer Guide
Mobile: 07966 472340
Sent from my iPhone

nmcoates

Mar 20, 2022, 4:57:33 PM3/20/22
to church...@googlegroups.com
It appeared to me from the TV images that the letter was genuine.  However the firm statement in the Bulletin that the "Manor" descriptor had not been used made me take pause.  I had been aware of Sickert's impressionist to post-impressionist art but not of the close Hozier-Churchill family connection.

The WSC letter to Clementine published in the Biography and in Speaking for themselves confirms the authenticity and the discussions there reinforce the connection.

The family possibly informally used "Manor" until the implications were drawn to their attention in 1934 with reference to the Manorial Rights of the Windmill Hill property.

I am wondering if any members were aware of other examples of the use of "Chartwell Manor".

Thanks and regards to all

Neil Coates

David Riddle

Mar 21, 2022, 4:25:36 PM3/21/22
to church...@googlegroups.com
Neil..

Further to your comments about the use of the name 'Chartwell Manor', I provide some evidence here of the historical situation from research carried out when I was a Volunteer Guide at Chartwell for 4 years.

Originally named Well Street, then for a while Foundling House when it was a children's home, it would appear that 'Chartwell' was the generic name of the house when originally advertised for sale in 1922 having first been given that name by John Campbell Colquhoun in 1838. The name persisted through the various attempts by Churchill to sell the property, starting in 1938. It is also the name referred to in English Heritage documentation of the site, as well as the name used by its present owners, the National Trust. However, I have observed some laziness on the part of NT in the past in terms of exactly how it was referred to.

A specific reference I copy below referring to Chartwell 'Manor' is from an article published in The Builder in 1945. There are many other occasions I have encountered where the term 'Manor' has been applied, as well as the extended 'Chartwell House' and even 'Chartwell Mansion'.

I hope these snippets are of interest.

The following excerpt is the first part of the Estate Agent's description of the House when Churchill purchased iti in 1922.

Particulars.

LOT 1

(Coloured Pink on Plan)

"CHARTWELL"

An attractive ivy-clad Residence, 2.5 miles from Westerham and 23 miles from London, situated in one of the most delightful districts of Kent, amid beautifully wooded hills, 500 feet above sea-level, on a South slope, completely sheltered from the North, and extending with Grounds and Park to an area of

79 a. 1 r.  29 p.

Churchill originally proposed the sale of Chartwell during lean times for him in 1938. This is an electronic version of the Estate Agent's details.....

April 1938

Hall; Five Reception Rooms; Nineteen Bed and Dressing Rooms;

Eight Bath Rooms; Usual Domestic Offices; Company Electric Light

and Water; Central Heating throughout; Modern Drainage; Stabling

and Three Garages; Large Studio; Three Cottages.

HEATED AND FILTERED OPEN AIR SWIMMING POOL. TWO LAKES.

HARD TENNIS COURT, BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS AND GARDENS.

PARK AND WOODLAND.

KENT AND SURREY BORDERS.

Occupying a magnificent position in a valley on the Southern slope of the Kentish Hills; one of the most beautiful districts in the Home Counties, entirely un-spoilt by building development, and adjoining Crockham Hill Common and other Common Land which will remain open spaces in perpetuity.

THE HOUSE

which stands

About 550 Feet Above Sea Level

etc...

The following is the header and first paragraph of an article in The Builder dated March 23rd, 1945. As can be seen, Chartwell is very specifically referred to here using the term 'Manor'.

Chartwell Manor, Westerham

Mr. & Mrs. Winston Churchill's Home

Re-designed by Philip Tilden, F.R.I.B.A.

Article from The Builder, March 23rd, 1945.

The position of Chartwell Manor upon the edge of a steep south-eastern slope at Westerham Kent necessitated a particular interesting study in planning of which Mr. Tilden writes: .....

David Riddle
12 Westcliff Gardens
Westbrook
Margate
Kent CT9 5DS

Mobile: 07966 472340

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/churchillchat/e498b35.450a70.17fa6909add.Webtop.98%40bigpond.com.

--
David Riddle
12 Westcliff Gardens

Mobile: 07966 472340

nmcoates

Mar 27, 2022, 5:29:45 AM3/27/22
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear David
Thank you for your efforts in finding and posting these interesting details.  It is fortunate that they are recorded and can still be found.
Regards
Neil Coates

David Riddle
12 Westcliff Gardens