re: proposed African Migration Conference called off

Eric Ansah

Sep 8, 2013, 1:25:37 AM9/8/13
to China...@googlegroups.com
Dear all, here is just a note to inform us that the proposed conference on African migration to South-(east) Asia for Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) this September is called off due to a lack of institutional support. The topic is still highly relevant; so if anyone is willing and has the means to organise a gathering in whatever form, elsewhere, that would be great.

Cheers,
Eric

Dr. Eric S. Ansah
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Ethnic Studies (KITA)
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
43600 Bangi, Selangor
Malaysia
tel: +603 8921 4641, direct +603 892 4775
Malaysia h/p: +6019 332 1740 & +6019 2565 689
Netherlands mobile nr: +31 6 228 32170

Philippe Noubel

Sep 8, 2013, 10:59:53 PM9/8/13
to China...@googlegroups.com, Philippe Noubel
Too bad - let us know if including China woudl help - we here are doing to ChinaAfrica and AfricaChina work both ways

Best

Filip Noubel
ICCD Country Director
Beijing China

--

---

Eric Ansah

Sep 8, 2013, 11:26:34 PM9/8/13
to China...@googlegroups.com, Philippe Noubel
Yes China provides a model (if one can say that) of growing African migration to East Asia from which we may compare Southeast Asia patterns and state responses against the older phenomenon of Eurocentric African migration. Actually the conference intends to do that. I have personally met African migrants here in Malaysia who returned from China and speak mandarin! So China is up for grabs and all ideas are welcome. If you want to bring-in your experiences with new digital media and cyberspace, we could for instance, include as a theme how the internet enables this new South-South migration networks of Africans to China and onward to other destinations in Asia. Thanks. Eric Ansah