Four interesting articles: African Union Conference Center, Chinese Netizen Reactions, HRW response, China Daily editorial and China's win-win strategy in Africa (Mmegi Online)

Douglas Scott

Feb 7, 2012, 11:17:01 AM2/7/12
to chinese-in-africa...@googlegroups.com, China...@googlegroups.com
Below are four interesting articles I came across last week.

An English translation was posted on China Smack of an article about the new African Union Conference Centre that was published on the Chinese internet.  It has some good photographs and a number of translated comments left by Chinese netizens detailing their reactions to the newly constructed centre.  The most common comment is that it cost the RMB1.3 billion which is the equivalent of each of China's 1.3 billion citizens paying RMB1 to build the centre.  It might not be the most informative article but it is fun and interesting.
 [China Smack] African Union Conference Center, Chinese Netizen Reactions: http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/african-union-conference-center-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

Also on a slightly heavier note, I am sure that many people have noticed that Pamabzuka recently published Human Rights Watch's defence of the report it published last year on labour conditions in Chinese mines in Zambia.  I have provided a link to it below.
[Pambazuka] Critiquing the critique on China in Zambia: http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/79570

An editorial was published on China Daily last week critizising the depiction of Sino-African relations in the Western Media.  It raises some good points but more then anything it gives some insight into Chinese perceptions of Western perceptions of China's activities in Africa.
[China Daily] Sino-African ties dissected: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-02/01/content_14514641.htm

Lastly, Jia Qinglin (chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference) did an interview with the Ethiopian News Agency at the opening of the African Union Conference Centre.  Below is a link to that interview as published by the Botswanan news website Mmegi Online.
[Mmegi Online] China's win-win strategy in Africa: http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=1&aid=235&dir=2012/January/Tuesday31

Enjoy,

--
Douglas Ian Scott
司道格

Douglas Scott

Feb 8, 2012, 3:47:58 AM2/8/12
to chinese-in-africa...@googlegroups.com, china...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing that article with us Barry.  I am sorry I missed it.

Douglas.

On 8 February 2012 05:01, SAUTMAN Barry V <soba...@ust.hk> wrote:
Our rebuttal of HRW's response to our critique is also in the same issue
of Pambazuka News, "Wrong Answers to the Wrong Question,"
http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/79602

Barry & Hairong

> Below are four interesting articles I came across last week.
>
> An English translation was posted on China Smack of an article about the
> new African Union Conference Centre that was published on the Chinese
> internet.  It has some good photographs and a number of translated
> comments
> left by Chinese netizens detailing their reactions to the newly
> constructed
> centre.  The most common comment is that it cost the RMB1.3 billion which
> is the equivalent of each of China's 1.3 billion citizens paying RMB1 to
> build the centre.  It might not be the most informative article but it is
> fun and interesting.
>  [China Smack] African Union Conference Center, Chinese Netizen Reactions:
> http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/african-union-conference-center-chinese-netizen-reactions.html
>

> Also on a slightly heavier note, I am sure that many people have noticed
> that Pamabzuka recently published Human Rights Watch's defence of the
> report it published last year on labour conditions in Chinese mines in
> Zambia.  I have provided a link to it below.
> [Pambazuka] Critiquing the critique on China in Zambia:
> http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/79570
>
> An editorial was published on China Daily last week critizising the
> depiction of Sino-African relations in the Western Media.  It raises some
> good points but more then anything it gives some insight into Chinese
> perceptions of Western perceptions of China's activities in Africa.
> [China Daily] Sino-African ties dissected:

> Lastly, Jia Qinglin (chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese
> People's Political Consultative Conference) did an interview with
> the Ethiopian News Agency at the opening of the African Union Conference
> Centre.  Below is a link to that interview as published by
> the Botswanan news website Mmegi Online.
> [Mmegi Online] China's win-win strategy in Africa:
> http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=1&aid=235&dir=2012/January/Tuesday31
>
> Enjoy,
>
> --
> Douglas Ian Scott
> 司道格
> Skype:  douglas0scott
> UK mobile number: +44 (0)755 452 5277
> Chinese mobile number: +86 1 364 330 7351
> South African mobile number: +27 (0)79 515 8727

--
Barry SAUTMAN, JD, LLM, PhD
Associate Professor