Xue Lan: China's engagement with Africa and the China Mining United Fund on SAfm

Douglas Scott

Jul 26, 2012, 4:31:27 PM7/26/12
to China...@googlegroups.com, chinese-in-africa...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago Prof Xue Lan, dean of the School of Public Policy and Management at Tsinghua University, Beijing (and my academic advisor whist I was studying there), gave a lecture to the International Development Research Centre on Chinese development assistance to Africa.  You can see the full lecture at the YouTube link below.

Xue Lan: China's engagement with Africa — challenges or opportunities? For whom?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdliWpkbcU

Another thing that happened recently(20/07/2012), and that I think is worth sharing, was an interesting discussion on South African radio channel SAfm between radio host Xolani Gwala and Martin Creamer, publishing editor of Engineering News and Mining Weekly. The topic of their discussion is the creation of the "China Mining United Fund", as the name suggest it is a new Chinese African focused mining and development fund. From what I understand from the discussion one of its aims is to also fund industrial projects, in addition to mining projects, that will process and add value to raw materials mined in Africa.

The full show along with a transcript can be heard on the Engineering News website at: http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/20072012-on-the-air-2012-07-20

Cheers,

Douglas.

--