CFO CLUB IS NOW A MEMBER OF THE ICWC

33 views
Skip to first unread message

CARMEN DROGO

unread,
Apr 26, 2022, 1:52:01 PMApr 26
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
HI FRIENDS,

A BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO DAVID - N1EA

FOR HIS FOLLOW UP REGARDING THIS MEMBERSHIP.


ICWC LOGO.jpg

THIS IS THE LINK TO THE ICWC HOME PAGE.


THIS IS THE LINK TO OTHER MEMBERS OF
THE ICWC.


AGAIN, THANK YOU DAVID.

73 - K1LKP

CARMEN DROGO

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 10:42:58 AMApr 29
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
HELP....................HELP...............HELP...........PLEASE......

HI FRIENDS, 

I WAS ASKED THE FOLLOWING QUESTION FROM ONE OF THE

ICWC MEMBERS.

I TOLD HIM, I WUD HAVE TO ASK OUR MEMBERSHIP
FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER.

May I ask you what your club name comes from? :)????

YOUR HELP IN THIS MATTER IS
MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU

73 - K1LKP

Richard Fleischer

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 10:50:25 AMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
A take on FOC

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2022, at 10:43 AM, CARMEN DROGO <k1...@comcast.net> wrote:

HELP....................HELP...............HELP...........PLEASE......
--
--
Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK! - CFO Lives!
Chicken Fat Operators at Google Groups
Post: Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Home: http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club
Our ANCIENT Web Page: https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http://home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html
 
Our FACEBOOK Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chickenfatoperatorsclub
Subscribe: chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: chicken-fat-operato...@googlegroups.com
CFO ROOSTER (Member List) http://tinyurl.com/cfocwclub
CFO Sked Page: http://n8fq.org/sked/mobile.php?board=cfo
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to Chicken-Fat-Operato...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/e20423ca-f640-4776-a79c-6ecc2aa8241dn%40googlegroups.com.

CARMEN DROGO

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 11:01:16 AMApr 29
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
HI RICH,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE.

YOUR MESSAGE DID NOT MAKE IT.........THERE IS NO INFO TO READ.

PLEASE TRY AGAIN.

THANK YOU

73 - CARMEN 

Don Kirk

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 11:49:24 AMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carmen,

You did get a very brief explanation from Rich when he said "A take on FOC".  I really think we felt the FOC was a little to uppity or high class regarding what it took to become a member, etc.

I also just stumbled upon an interesting letter that AA0HW received from WB9LTN when AA0HW became a member of the CFO in 1995, and here is part of the text as it relates to the play on the FOC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are now an official (as official as anything gets in this organization) member of CFO (Chicken Fat Operators). Be careful not to mix up the letters in that acronym; another organization uses a permutation of the same letters (although no self respecting member of CFO would admit to knowing what FOC stands for). CFO began in 1979, when stan W9WBL and his XYL Doris began sending out certificates to good cw ops. The organization is dedicated to competent Morse code operation in the Amateur Radio Service. The almost official policy of CFO suggested by steve K4CJX is: Under no condition shall any member or committee operate in an organized and reasonable manner in order to produce anything on a timely basis and should such events occur, whether planned or spontaneous, they shall immediately cease until either late or incorrect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

73,
Don (wd8dsb) CFO# 15

CARMEN DROGO

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:11:16 PMApr 29
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
HI DON,

GREETINGS FROM SALEM, NH.

THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT THE ANSWER THAT RICH PROVIDED.......THANK YOU RICH..........

IT'S STARTING TO HAPPEN ONCE AGAIN.

I AM SUFFERING FROM THE FRIDAY MORNING "CRS OVERFLOW".

DON, THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING YOUR INPUTS TO MY QUESTION.

IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED. 

OH MY GOD.......WITH A CFO # 15
YOU ARE TRULY ONE OF THE CFO
PIONEERS
EARLY PIONEERS (1).jpg

PLEASE....... IF ANYONE ELSE HAS SOME INSIGHT REGARDING
THIS MATTER........... JUMP IN THE WATER IS WARM.

73 ES EVERYONE KEEP HAPPY 

OLE RASCAL (1) ITS TNE WEEKEND.jpg

k8...@aol.com

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:13:17 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
I was nominated for FOC some years ago. Once I learned about the hoops I'd have to jump through to complete the process, I politely said "No thanks".

Joe, K8MP

g.bra...@charter.net

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:15:24 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com

CFO was concocted by Jim Ricks, W9TO as a spoof on the FOC.  CFO evolved from an acronym with no meaning into the Chicken Fat Operators club.  Suddenly CFO became a real acronym with great meaning.  It waseeventuallyr discovered that chicken fat held many mystical powers.  Spreading chicken fat on your antenna ehnanced directivity and gain in both directions for instance.  Chicken fat is truly the substance of QRQ CW.  Personally, I used chicken fat on my paddle to achieve near keyboard performance.   There have been many other discoveries made over the years.  It is doubtful that all the advantages of chicken fat will ever be uncovered.

 

I truly hope this helps.

 

73,

Jerry K9JB

 

From: chicken-fat-o...@googlegroups.com <chicken-fat-o...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of CARMEN DROGO
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2022 7:43 AM
To: Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO <Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Chicken Fat Operators-6207] Re: CFO CLUB IS NOW A MEMBER OF THE ICWC

 

HELP....................HELP...............HELP...........PLEASE......

 

HI FRIENDS, 

 

I WAS ASKED THE FOLLOWING QUESTION FROM ONE OF THE

 

ICWC MEMBERS.

 

I TOLD HIM, I WUD HAVE TO ASK OUR MEMBERSHIP

FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER.

 

May I ask you what your club name comes from? :)????

 

YOUR HELP IN THIS MATTER IS

MUCH APPRECIATED.

 

THANK YOU

 

73 - K1LKP

 

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 1:52:01 PM UTC-4 CARMEN DROGO wrote:

HI FRIENDS,

 

A BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO DAVID - N1EA

 

FOR HIS FOLLOW UP REGARDING THIS MEMBERSHIP.

 


 

THIS IS THE LINK TO THE ICWC HOME PAGE.

 

 

THIS IS THE LINK TO OTHER MEMBERS OF

THE ICWC.

 

 

AGAIN, THANK YOU DAVID.

 

73 - K1LKP

 

--

BURNS MARTIN JR

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:49:13 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com, g.bra...@charter.net
Thanks for the info. Sorry but I am really out of the loop because I can't say I've ever heard of the ICWC but my analytical mind suggests it may mean International CW Club?
I go pretty far back, but not to the beginning but I do know that in the early days, the CFO gang were among the very best QRQ CW ops on the bands.
73 and Cluck Cluck,
Tony W4FOA
CFO 550

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Frank Outlaw

> On 04/29/2022 12:15 PM g.bra...@charter.net wrote:
>
>
> CFO was concocted by Jim Ricks, W9TO as a spoof on the FOC. CFO evolved from an acronym with no meaning into the Chicken Fat Operators club. Suddenly CFO became a real acronym with great meaning. It waseeventuallyr discovered that chicken fat held many mystical powers. Spreading chicken fat on your antenna ehnanced directivity and gain in both directions for instance. Chicken fat is truly the substance of QRQ CW. Personally, I used chicken fat on my paddle to achieve near keyboard performance. There have been many other discoveries made over the years. It is doubtful that all the advantages of chicken fat will ever be uncovered.
>
>
>
> I truly hope this helps.
>
>
>
> 73,
>
> Jerry K9JB
>
>
>
> From: chicken-fat-o...@googlegroups.com <chicken-fat-o...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of CARMEN DROGO
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2022 7:43 AM
> To: Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO <Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [Chicken Fat Operators-6207] Re: CFO CLUB IS NOW A MEMBER OF THE ICWC
>
>
>
> HELP....................HELP...............HELP...........PLEASE......
>
>
>
> HI FRIENDS,
>
>
>
> I WAS ASKED THE FOLLOWING QUESTION FROM ONE OF THE
>
>
>
> ICWC MEMBERS.
>
>
>
> I TOLD HIM, I WUD HAVE TO ASK OUR MEMBERSHIP
>
> FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER.
>
>
>
> May I ask you what your club name comes from? :)????
>
>
>
> YOUR HELP IN THIS MATTER IS
>
> MUCH APPRECIATED.
>
>
>
> THANK YOU
>
>
>
> 73 - K1LKP
>
>
>
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 1:52:01 PM UTC-4 CARMEN DROGO wrote:
>
> HI FRIENDS,
>
>
>
> A BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO DAVID - N1EA
>
>
>
> FOR HIS FOLLOW UP REGARDING THIS MEMBERSHIP.
>
>
>
>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/attach/c6c4b82cd0d/ICWC%20LOGO.jpg?part=0.1&view=1>
>
>
>
> THIS IS THE LINK TO THE ICWC HOME PAGE.
>
>
>
> https://internationalcwcouncil.org/
>
>
>
> THIS IS THE LINK TO OTHER MEMBERS OF
>
> THE ICWC.
>
>
>
> https://internationalcwcouncil.org/member-organizations/
>
>
>
> AGAIN, THANK YOU DAVID.
>
>
>
> 73 - K1LKP
>
>
>
> --
> --
> Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK! - CFO Lives!
> Chicken Fat Operators at Google Groups
> Post: Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com <mailto:Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com>
> Home: http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club
> Our ANCIENT Web Page: https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http://home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html <https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http:/home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html>
> Subscribe: chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com <mailto:chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com>
> Unsubscribe: chicken-fat-operato...@googlegroups.com <mailto:chicken-fat-operato...@googlegroups.com>
> CFO ROOSTER (Member List) http://tinyurl.com/cfocwclub
> CFO Sked Page: http://n8fq.org/sked/mobile.php?board=cfo
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to Chicken-Fat-Operato...@googlegroups.com <mailto:Chicken-Fat-Operato...@googlegroups.com> .
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/e20423ca-f640-4776-a79c-6ecc2aa8241dn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/e20423ca-f640-4776-a79c-6ecc2aa8241dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .
>
> --
> --
> Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK! - CFO Lives!
> Chicken Fat Operators at Google Groups
> Post: Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
> Home: http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club
> Our ANCIENT Web Page: https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http://home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html
>
> Our FACEBOOK Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chickenfatoperatorsclub
> Subscribe: chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com
> Unsubscribe: chicken-fat-operato...@googlegroups.com
> CFO ROOSTER (Member List) http://tinyurl.com/cfocwclub
> CFO Sked Page: http://n8fq.org/sked/mobile.php?board=cfo
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to Chicken-Fat-Operato...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/02ae01d85be4%2453ba0280%24fb2e0780%24%40charter.net.

Steve Waterman

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:51:16 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
HEY! The CFO was formed from the exclusivity of the FOC.  They turned W9TO down for whatever reason and he then formed the FOC.


Steve









__________________________________________

Steve Waterman
DHS CISA SHARES Auxiliary (Winlink Admin)
FEMA R4 RECCWG AuxComm Committee, Chair
TEMA COMU
Williamson County, TN. EMA Reserves
Winlink Administrator, Dev Team, ARSFI BOD
615-300-5296
____________________
______________________

When the disaster is at its worst, communications should be at its best.






k8...@aol.com

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 12:54:43 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
"Self-proclaimed Blue Bloods"

Richard Fleischer

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 1:25:58 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Hey Carmen...always nice to see your notes.  Back in the day, a lot of high speed cw guys thought that the FOC folks were a pompous lot.  So, as a take on FOC, they came up with CFO, and then Chicken Fat Operators filled in the initials.  At least that's how I remember it.



--
________________________________________________________
Richard Fleischer
One Selkirk Road
Cranston, RI  02905-3732

Arthur Nienhouse

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 1:34:20 PMApr 29
to 'k8mp@aol.com' via Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
Joe

And I thought I was the only one who did not want to jump through hoops *beg* let me in I think I'm good enough .....

Art
ka9zap

k8...@aol.com

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 1:48:54 PMApr 29
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com, Arthur Nienhouse
Hi Art,
Long time no talk. I've not been mobile since I retired 7 years ago. That's when I did the bulk of my rag chewing, with you and many others.

Yeah, the confirmation process rubbed me the wrong way. A friend who is an FOC member said I needed to hurry up and work some of the "G" boys, as he called them. It sounded like ass kissing to me.

I felt if I happened to work some of them, great, but if not, no big deal. Don't get me wrong. Those guys are generally good ops.

They have ritzier tastes than me.
I'm more of a "Drink champagne out of a paper cup" type of guy.

Seeeeeeya, Joe

CARMEN DROGO

unread,
Apr 29, 2022, 1:59:21 PMApr 29
to Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
HI JOE, - K8MP

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLAY......

AND

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED



OH MY GOD JOE,

REGARDING 
hoops I'd have to jump through to complete the process, I politely said "No thanks".

BACK IN THE LATE 90'S A GUD FRIEND OF MINE SAID HE WOULD SPONSOR ME TO THE FOC CLUB.

I AGREED AND TOLD HIM I WUD START THE PROCESS.

IT TURNS OUT THAT THERE ARE A SERIES OF QSO'S THAT YOU
HAVE TO MAKE WITH OTHER MEMBERS ON VARIOUS BANDS.

I WAS GOING STRONG FOR A WHILE.
AND 
ONE DAY
I MISSED MY 3:00 PM TEA APPOINTMENT 
WITH THE QUEEN MOTHER.
(PLEASE NO OFFENSE TO MY UK FRIENDS)

BECZ I MISSED THE APPOINTMENT,
I WAS TOLD I WUD HAVE TO START ALL
OVER WITH MY QSO'S.

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT,
I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE FOC.

SADLY, RECENTLY, A GUD CW PAL
SAID HE WOULD SPONSOR ME 
TO THE FOC.

I EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT HAPPENED
TO ME IN THE LATE 90'S AND TOLD HIM
I WUD HAVE TO REFUSE HIS OFFER FOR
HIM TO SPONSOR ME TO THE FOC. 

JOE, I HAVE MANY GOOD FRIENDS ON THE 
BANDS WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE FOC
AND THEY ARE TOP NOTCH BLASTERS OF
THE BRASS. 

IF IT WE NOT FOR THE HOOPS, I WUD PROBABLY
BE A MEMBER OF THE FOC. 


ANYHOW,

JOE, I TURNED 78 THIS MONTH.

PRAISE THE LORD FOR

RETIREMENT
AND
POWER NAPS
AND 
SPELL CHECKERS. 

73 ES PLEASE STAY OUT OF MISCHIEF. 
-

AND

AGAIN, TO ALL

THANK YOU
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages