Begali Intrepid - Big and Clunky? Or a Delicate Dancer?

David J. J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 15, 2023, 7:01:13 PM6/15/23
to CFO google group
I have heard comments that Piero Begali's INTREPID bug is "big and clunky".

It is heavy, and it stays put on any operating desk.

But the mechanism itself is rather like a mechanical clock - not large like Vibroplex or Speed-X or McElroy, but quite delicate and responsive like a sports car but still being able to send at quite slow speeds.

Here a series of dots at the slowest speed my INTREPID sends at.  My INTREPID has been modified by my design to have an extra dash paddle, it's an ongoing prototype with Mr. Begali.

Video:  http://qsl.net/n/n1ea//tmp/slow_intrepid.mp4

I estimate the dot speed of this Begali prototype of a "Russian Bug with Two Paddles / Cootie Bug" style INTREPID as being 14 WPM.

Begali Russian Cootie Bug

The big rails on either side of the delicate vibrator are to protect the vibrator and to hold the many adjustment screws.

A nice key, it took me a while to get used to it as it has a much lighter touch than a Vibroplex, McElroy or Speed-X semi-automatic - or any of the other speed keys I've ever used.  It's unique but it does a great job.

I think it's a delicate dancer that can do any type of dance, including Morse rock-and-roll or even chamber music.  It swings and rocks!

Highly recommended!

73
DR

Andrew Moore

Jun 15, 2023, 7:51:25 PM6/15/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com

"Big and clunky" is part of the appeal of a bug, and no bug does that better than the Vibroplex. The Intrepid by comparison feels refined and more delicate, and also more precisely tweakable.

I got a Vibroplex "Original Standard Upgraded" and an Intrepid at about the same time, a few months ago. Played with each a little but haven't been able to dial either one in just right. Getting the usual scratchy dits, but this is on a modern SDR and might be able to fix that by using them on an older rig. Still need to put the time in but don't have time for it at the moment.

Been QRT lately but looking forward to getting back on and learning on these awesome keys.

DR your prototype sounds good. What's the chicken scratch on the papers beneath it in the screen shot; do you do fountain pens or calligraphy?

73
NV1B / 963
..

Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK! - CFO Lives!
Chicken Fat Operators at Google Groups
Post: Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Home: http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club
Our ANCIENT Web Page: https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http://home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html

Our FACEBOOK Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chickenfatoperatorsclub
Subscribe: chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com
CFO ROOSTER (Member List) http://tinyurl.com/cfocwclub
CFO Sked Page: http://n8fq.org/sked/mobile.php?board=cfo
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/dad897fe-d7d4-3e03-a1a0-eaa988911a4f%40ARRL.NET.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 15, 2023, 11:18:06 PM6/15/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I doodle with fountain pens. Keeps me out of Sing-Sing.

73
DR

Richard Fleischer

Jun 16, 2023, 8:17:18 AM6/16/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
I'd go with 'delicate dancer' rather than 'big and clunky',  It actually has a smaller footprint than both the Lightning and the Original.  I bought serial number 006 so I have been a very long term user.  The description that it's rather like a mechanical clock is most fitting.  I find using it more akin to using paddles rather than my other bugs.  It takes me a bit to switch from paddles to a traditional bug and I find the same thing happening when moving from Intrepid to Viproplex.  It can take a bit of deft touch but it's well worth the effort.  I also find it quite easy to make most adjustments while actually sending.  A bit difficult with Viproplex bugs.  As for speed...there was a time when I had multiple bugs set to different speeds all plugged into one radio.  With the Intrepid, the speed range is such that it covers the entire range I'm capable of without too much wear and tear.

-73 WA1SKQ 701

Richard Fleischer
One Selkirk Road
Cranston, RI  02905-3732