K9QVB SK

Gene Sochor

Jul 30, 2023, 10:10:42 PM7/30/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Be advised that John Meyer, K9QVB, a very active and well -liked CFO member as well as a tremendous operator (FOC, CW-OPS and others) has passed away 2 days ago.  His memorial will be in Chicago on August 18thl He will be sorely missed by many.

73, Gene N9SW

k8...@aol.com

Jul 31, 2023, 3:52:01 AM7/31/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
That's sad news Gene. Thanks for letting us know.

Joe, K8MP

Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK! - CFO Lives!
Chicken Fat Operators at Google Groups
Post: Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Home: http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club
Our ANCIENT Web Page: https://web.archive.org/web/20070602150935/http://home.aurora.edu/~bdillon/cfo/cfo.html

Our FACEBOOK Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chickenfatoperatorsclub
Subscribe: chicken-fat-operat...@googlegroups.com
CFO ROOSTER (Member List) http://tinyurl.com/cfocwclub
CFO Sked Page: http://n8fq.org/sked/mobile.php?board=cfo
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club/CAGpJgqROfdiDsdSqe6DJryROtFT5YWuWj2y%2B0Lie62O-PJqDJQ%40mail.gmail.com.

S. Steltzer

Jul 31, 2023, 4:10:12 AM7/31/23
to 'David Eisenberger' via Chicken Fat Operators Club - CFO
This is the worst part of getting older :-(

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jul 31, 2023, 5:06:17 AM7/31/23
to CFO google group
Thanks for the update, Gene, sad to lose another great operator. RIP John, K9QVB, you will be missed.

73
David
N1EA

Douglas Crittendon

John Whitt

Jul 31, 2023, 10:04:17 AM7/31/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for letting us know Gene. This is sad news for sure. I first worked John in 2006 on CW. By 2022 we had 36 QSO's(cw, rtty, bpsk31, bpsk 63, ft8, ft4) with the last one occurring on 1-23-22. He will be sorely missed. Please pass along my most sincere condolences to his family.

73,
John / AI4FR

Fabio Bonucci

Jul 31, 2023, 10:07:21 AM7/31/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
I worked John since the early 1990s.
I was young but he was already a very active CWer.
Later, when I joined FOC, I found him as member #1507.
May you rest in peace mate.

73 Fabio, IK0IXI

David McCarty

Jul 31, 2023, 11:27:42 AM7/31/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
John had a large number of entries in my log. Good op, good signal, good fist.

73, OM!

Dave K5GN

James Ricks

Jul 31, 2023, 7:30:09 PM7/31/23
to Chicken-Fat-O...@googlegroups.com
John and his family lived just north of us, up in Wilmette. His XYL
and my mom Pat were friends, and I was friends with his son John. Mr.
Meyer WAS a little coarse around the edges, but had a hell of a sense
of humor, and spent quite a bit of time at our roost, chewing the fat
about all sorts of AR tech with the Big Bird. He was W9TO's local
'go-to' when Pop needed a second brain or pair of hands for antenna
mounts and swaps on the tower out back attached to the garage, or to
help mount the latest 2m whip on the peak of our house in Evanston.

Needless to say, I managed to be fascinated by him, his mannerisms,
his great off-color humor, his shared penchant for the 807s and 813s
with my father.

Here's to yet another GOOD radio man. Say 'Hi' to the parents for me,
Mr. Meyer, and thanks.

https://dxnews.com/forum/forum/silent-keys/53655-k9qvb-john-meyer-wilmette-usa

--James B. Ricks, III
Murphysboro, IL