London - Classical Music from India - Carnatic Concert - Sept 9th

Shree

Sep 7, 2010, 1:01:09 PM9/7/10
to Carnatic.Resource, violin...@gmail.com
Dear UK Music Lovers,

Date: Thursday 9 September
Time: 16:00
Venue: Hall Two
Price: £4.50

Running Time: 45 minutes
Darbar Arts Culture Heritage Trust

Darbar takes you on an Indian musical journey, introducing instruments
relatively new to Indian classical music. We begin in the foothills of
the Himalayas with the shimmering sounds of the santoor, the hundred-
stringed instrument from the valleys of Kashmir. This ancient
instrument is the Indian version of the hammered dulcimer. The second
concert takes us to the deep south, and unusually features the violin
as a solo instrument, supported by percussion. We end our journey back
in the north, with an instrument we would usually associate with
Western jazz - the saxophone.

Jyotsna Srikanth violin
Neyveli Venkatesh mridangam
R N Prakash ghatam

Jyotsna Srikanth

Trained in the south Indian Carnatic and Western classical genres,
Jyotsna composes her own music and collaborates with jazz, western
classical and world music artists. ‘She provided a remarkable,
improvised
instrumental, switching between rapid-fire violin ragas and slower
delicate pieces and some impressive interplay between the
percussionists.' (Guardian, April 2010).

Neyveli Venkatesh
Neyveli gave his first mridangam performance at the age of ten. He is
skilled in playing the difficult ‘gumuki style' and is adept in
kanjira konnokol, the art of performing percussion syllables vocally.
Neyveli has accompanied frontline musicians in many major Indian music
festivals and has toured extensively.

R N Prakash
R N Prakash is a disciple of Vidvan K N Krishnamurthy of Bangalore.
His fusion work with western pop and jazz groups, especially Massive
Attack, illustrates the musical bridges he builds to other cultures.
He has made many television appearances demonstrating the versatility
of mridangam and ghatam.

For more details visit -
http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/music/kings-place-festival/classical-music-from-india-carnatic-concert

Contact shree on sharm...@gmail.com