RE: [EXTERN] [Biochar] new article on PYCCS and introduce PyC

Anderson, Paul

Jan 16, 2022, 6:15:35 PM1/16/22
to Theodore Lim, ma...@biochar.groups.io, Jeff Waldon, Carbon Dioxide Removal

I thank Dr. Theo Lim (correspondence author for the  article) for permission to resend his email reply that is below.

He mentions the well known article and graphic by Minx et al. (2018).   I have written  previously with specific mention of the inadequacies of that graphic.   See    Understanding Carbon Dioxide Removal and Storage (CDRS)  paper at  .

https://woodgas.energy/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Understanding-CDRS-2021-02-18.pdf    (pages 4 – 10).   [I then presented a revision of the classification  system that has more consistency and ease of understanding.]

Here today I make a suggestion that the acronym     PyC    (pronounced   “pike”) be used to refer to   Pyrolytic Carbon       which  solid (elemental) carbon that is created during pyrolysis and commonly called charcoal or biochar (which have difference but both are PyC)

When the PyC is intended for sequestration (that is, long-term Storage), we add an    S   to make it    PyCS   (pronounced   “pikes” ).   That is a small but IMO sufficient difference from       PyCCS     which has the     CCS connotation associated with BECCS and DACCS and  other engineered  carbon  CAPTURE, which give the extra letter “C”    in CCS.       We note that biochar production does NOT CAPTURE any Carbon Dioxide.   Such capture is done by the plants that create the biomass of carbohydrates (no longer CO2).    Pyrolysis turns carbohydrates in pyrolytic carbon, which is   PyC.

If there is need to discuss multiple biochars, that would be     PyCs      (lower case “s” for plural, not upper case “S” for Storage or Sequestration.).      The  English language sometimes is not easy, but we can try  to be clear.

Having explained    PyC     in this single email message gives it zero life-span unless Hans-Peter and Claudia and others and organizations use it.    Maybe someone will use it in an article or educational material.

I will use it (and repeatedly define it) because I work with pyrolytic carbon  (i.e.    PyC  ), , also known as biochar, which has no accepted abbreviation because   BC    has a loooooooong tradition to mean Black  Carbon (which is not biochar.)

Paul

         Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu       Skype:   paultlud

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources

Jan 21, 2022, 5:16:36 PM1/21/22
to Anderson, Paul, Theodore Lim, ma...@biochar.groups.io, Jeff Waldon, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Why do you say Biochar is not Black Carbon? Isn’t black carbon the extreme high temperature end member of the biochar continuum?

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance

Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.

Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK

37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 (leave message)

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

It’s much later than we think, especially if we don’t think

Those with their heads in the sand will see the light when global warming and sea level rise wash the beach away

Geotherapy: Regenerating ecosystem services to reverse climate change

Anderson, Paul

Jan 21, 2022, 6:02:06 PM1/21/22
to Tom Goreau, Theodore Lim, ma...@biochar.groups.io, Jeff Waldon, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Tom,

Good question.    I found this abstract that is informative:

Abstract

Airborne particles containing elemental carbon (EC) are currently at the forefront of scientific and regulatory scrutiny, including black carbon, carbon black, and engineered carbon-based nanomaterials, e.g., carbon nanotubes, fullerenes, and graphene. Scientists and regulators sometimes group these EC-containing particles together, for example, interchangeably using the terms carbon black and black carbon despite one being a manufactured product with well-controlled properties and the other being an undesired, incomplete-combustion byproduct with diverse properties. In this critical review, we synthesize information on the contrasting properties of EC-containing particles in order to highlight significant differences that can affect hazard potential. We demonstrate why carbon black should not be considered a model particle representative of either combustion soots or engineered carbon-based nanomaterials. Overall, scientific studies need to distinguish these highly different EC-containing particles with care and precision so as to forestall unwarranted extrapolation of properties, hazard potential, and study conclusions from one material to another.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749113003266

But I still do not know about these issues.  Maybe others can clarify.