RE: [prag] ‘Nature’ | David T. Ho | “Carbon dioxide removal is not a current climate solution — we need to change the narrative”

Chris Vivian

Apr 5, 2023, 7:02:13 AM4/5/23
to Douglas Grandt, Planetary Restoration, Carbon Dioxide Removal, healthy-planet-action-coalition, John Nissen, Herb Simmens, Michael Routh, Peter Fiekowsky

Doug,

You can submit a letter to Nature to go in the Correspondence/Letters to the Editor – see https://www.nature.com/nature/for-authors/other-subs. Probably not that easy to get published though.

Chris.

Apr 5, 2023, 9:59:11 AM4/5/23
to Douglas Grandt, Planetary Restoration, Carbon Dioxide Removal, healthy-planet-action-coalition, John Nissen, Herb Simmens, Michael Routh, Peter Fiekowsky
Dear Douglas Grandt,

David Ho has a Twitter account and is quite active there.

If you wish to engage him in a dialogue or respond publicly to this article,Twitter would be a great choice.

Twitter.com/_david_ho.

Regards,
Tapan,
RubiscoBlack.

Tapan

Apr 5, 2023, 10:13:14 AM4/5/23
to Douglas Grandt, Planetary Restoration, Carbon Dioxide Removal, healthy-planet-action-coalition, John Nissen, Herb Simmens, Michael Routh, Peter Fiekowsky
I made a mistake in my previous email with the Twitter Id of David Ho, the author of the recent Nature article on CDR. I apologize for it.

The correct Id is

(Three underscores)

He is also on Mastodon

@dav...@mastodon.world

- Tapan,
RubiscoBlack.

Michael Hayes

Apr 5, 2023, 2:49:22 PM4/5/23
to Chris Vivian, Douglas Grandt, Planetary Restoration, Carbon Dioxide Removal, healthy-planet-action-coalition, John Nissen, Herb Simmens, Michael Routh, Peter Fiekowsky
[...] We must stop talking about deploying CDR as a solution today, when emissions remain high — as if it somehow replaces radical, immediate emission cuts. [...]

MH]

Emissions reduction can be significantly addressed by some forms of CDR that generate bio oils, H2, OTEC/TG etc. The assumption that the 2 technologies, emissions reduction and CDR techs, must be distinctly different from each other is no longer fully supportable at the technical level.

The marine-based CDR technologies that generate different forms of renewable energy, mCDR tech that can store energy, and mCDR tech that can reduce pressure on land resources are likely available today using industrual-grade components and well accepted relevant mCDR sciences and technologies. If one focuses upon mCDR techs that have energy conversion and storage potential as a byproduct, the distinction between emissions reduction and CDR largely becomes moot.

Ignoring the marine CDR options that offer energy related byproducts is likely no longer supportable in the policy space.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Carbon Dioxide Removal" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/CarbonDioxideRemoval/000501d967ae%24087906a0%24196b13e0%24%40btinternet.com.

Greg Rau

Apr 5, 2023, 2:56:06 PM4/5/23
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
For the CDR list, the link to David's commentary is here: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00953-x

GHR - I've got to read it again, but it seemed a confusing message: "CDR isn't the solution" (sure, it's an essential part of the solution), "further research is neeeded", but then let's "prepared for CDR to be a failure" and assume natural CDR will eventually return CO2 to pre industrial levels thousands of years from now. So is this the old moral hazard argument repackaged?: Humans are only capable of doing 1 thing at a time and if they try to do a second thing they get distracted and fail? Stop work on CDR, focus all of your attention of emissions reductions and we'll get back to you when/if we think CDR is needed? I'm confused.
This passage also stood out:
"Humanity has never removed an atmospheric pollutant at a global, continental or, even, regional scale — we have only ever shut down the source and let nature do the clearing up."  So true, and there was a time when firemaking, agriculture, spear points, modern medicine, planes  and cell phones didn't exist either. Except this time failure to come up with methods of hastening CO2 removal will effect the habitability of the entire planet for a very long time. I'd say it's worth trying.

Shannon A. Fiume

Apr 5, 2023, 4:53:43 PM4/5/23
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com, Peter Fiekowsky

Yes, moral hazard territory.

I outlined a public rebuttal thread https://twitter.com/safiume/status/1643476835471331328. I believe I've been muted by him and due to his large following. My view counts are about 70% down. Peter, I put a link to your book in the thead. I also copied a few of the DAC and CDR companies at the end of the thread.

I've also submitted a comment to Nature Briefing as this is showing up in the Nature Briefing and Apple News via Nature. In it I said, 'I can't look anyone in the eye with children and say, "No, I'm sorry it was mine and your parents' generation that decided it was too hard to figure out how to reverse as much of climate damages as possible, and collectively we humans just gave up." ', added in my more scholarly argument as to why Nature should not be amplifying an opinion that future CDR will fail.

Aside, other atmospheric pollutants aren't in the gigatonne or ppm range, of course removing them post-facto is going to be excessively expensive. Yes, stopping them at the source was and still is the right way to go.

Regards,

~~sa

Chris Vivian

Apr 6, 2023, 9:17:30 AM4/6/23
to Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Greg,

See these follow up comments on David Ho’s article on Twitter - https://twitter.com/safiume/status/1643476835471331328

Chris.

Michael Hayes

Apr 6, 2023, 6:04:04 PM4/6/23
to Chris Vivian, Douglas Grandt, Planetary Restoration, Carbon Dioxide Removal, healthy-planet-action-coalition, John Nissen, Herb Simmens, Michael Routh, Peter Fiekowsky
The narrative needs to be CDR scale and speed of scale up, not the technical ability to do so.

Managing roughly 25 times the weight in C that the global sand and gravel industry moves in a year is likely doable at the mCDR tech level. Ramping up both mCDR and renewable energy conversion, or mCDRe, at all costs will likely save on many second order costs.

Getting to 10 GtC/y of CDR while radically displacing FF usage in the time needed is a large basket of policy issues that are largely dependent upon technical issues. The socioeconomics of such a huge scale up of any type of new tech in the time we have, or not doing so, is largely philosophical until the mCDRe tech is deployed in mass and accepted at the 'C Bank'.

We have around 100M forcibly displaced persons needing rapidly scaleable water, energy, and nutrient nexus support. Rendering that one basket of needs into C negative values is within some mCDR system of systems engineering options. The need for scale and speed of scale up is difficult to fully express.