CDR Modeled in MAGICC to return to preindustrial temperatures by 2100

Geoengineering News

Apr 30, 2023, 6:34:58 AM4/30/23
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com
https://eartharxiv.org/repository/view/5300/

Authors

Shannon A Fiume

DOI

https://doi.org/10.31223/X5K37C

Abstract

Experimental test of the theory proposed in an Alternative Method to Determine a Carbon Dioxide Removal Target. The multi-step experiment explores halting anthropogenic emissions from greenhouse gases and removing all historic cumulative anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions in less than a hundred years to match the preindustrial temperature. The multi-step experiment was conducted on MAGICC 6.8, a reduced complexity model or model emulator, managed by pymagicc. The experiment compares the new experimental pathway 300x2050, marker SSP1 2.6, and SSP1 1.9 within the context of development under a green growth paradigm and explores large-scale linear carbon dioxide removal over the 80-year time frame. The multi-step experiment calibrated the experimental pathway to include recent historic emissions through 2020, and was subsequently tuned to model the recent average global temperatures and CO₂ concentration through 2020. Contrary to the prior proposed theory all anthropogenic emissions (from both fossil fuels and land-use change) needed to be removed to realize the final temperature of nearly 0ºC. The experimental pathway evolved temperature to 0.07ºC relative to the 1720-1800 mean and 0.14ºC to the 1850-1900 mean and realized a final CO₂ concentration of 278.82 ppm by 2550. The evolved climate at 2550 was achieved by phasing out all greenhouse gases, excluding ammonia, and removing all cumulative anthropogenic carbon dioxide ending by 2100.

Source: Earth RXiv

Tom Goreau

Apr 30, 2023, 8:22:04 AM4/30/23
to carbondiox...@googlegroups.com, rob de laet

Shannon, thanks for this great simulation (below) showing that climate stabilization at safe levels without dangerous overshoot is fundamentally impossible with continued fossil fuel use!

It’s interesting to see how the greatest volcanic explosions over the last 200 years, such as Gunung Tambora, Gunung Krakatau, and Gunung Agung had such strong but ephemeral albedo effects on global climate, showing clearly that stratospheric aerosol cooling must be applied continuously, forever, to have the impacts desired, with all the consequences of acid rain they will cause to soil and ocean (if sulfates are used). On the other hand sustained Arctic ice recovery could have a permanent albedo effect without permanently damaging life on land and sea.

On the other hand, those proposing direct cooling modifications by changing albedos neglect the very large local cooling caused by regenerating evapotranspiration cycles of intact forests. 40 years ago we found that loss of evapotranspiration by Amazonian clearcutting resulted in up to 10-14 C daily warming of soil and air in the day as opposed to around 2-6 C in intact jungle  (T. J. Goreau & W. Z. de Mello, 1985, Effects of deforestation on sources and sinks of atmospheric carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane from Central Amazonian soils and biota during the dry season: a preliminary study, PROC. WORKSHOP ON BIOGEOCHEMISTRY OF TROPICAL RAIN FORESTS: PROBLEMS FOR RESEARCH, D. Athie, T. E. Lovejoy, & P. de M. Oyens (Eds.), Centro de Energia Nuclear na Agricultura & World Wildlife Fund, Piricicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil, p. 51-66). Local cooling on large scales by reforestation can result in permanent cooling of several degrees by increased evapotranspiration of heat from soil to atmosphere, while greatly increasing biomass and soil carbon!

Capoeira is clearcut primary Amazonian forest next to intact control sites.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance

Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.

Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK

37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 (leave message)

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

It’s much later than we think, especially if we don’t think

Those with their heads in the sand will see the light when global warming and sea level rise wash the beach away

Geotherapy: Regenerating ecosystem services to reverse climate change

Michael Hayes

Apr 30, 2023, 12:35:00 PM4/30/23
to Tom Goreau, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Tom, et al.,

You mentioned increasing/saving Arctic sea ice cover as a good albedo modification option and there may also be a CDR side to artifical sea ice creation.

During sea ice formation, cooled brine is produced that drags CO2/CH4 in the surface water to the seabed where the CO2/CH4 are locked up in hydrate formations. On the down side, the resulting cold brine pools, rivers, and lakes are largely death traps for the local benthic life, yet wildlife trapped in these death traps add their C to the frozen hydrate C collection.

The largest downside, however, may be when the sea ice is no longer being made resulting in the benthic brine system 'drying up' and the hydrates warming to the point of releasing the stored CO2/CH4. This loss of benthic brine cooling capacity is currently happening as Arctic sea ice production is in a sharp decline.

You and I have discussed marine grade tank-based CDR tech packages in the past, and I would like to add Arctic sea ice production to the technical wish list for such tank-based systems. A tank-based system floating just under existing ice can likely be equipped for water cooling. It would only take cooling the surface water/ice boundary layer by a few degrees to generate new ice and more cooled brine. Creating sea ice is likely the most overlooked combined CDR/Albedo enhancement option we have.

Best regards

image001.png
image002.png

Robert Chris

Apr 30, 2023, 1:50:21 PM4/30/23
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com, Tom Goreau

Tom

Unless I'm mistaken, this simulation does not include any albedo enhancement and assumes that all the work is being done in the management of LWR.  If that's so, it doesn't really help us that much because the task of reaching net zero by the mid-2020s, as contemplated here, is demonstrably unrealistic, whether we continue to use fossil fuels or not.

Am I missing something?

Regards

Robert

Tom Goreau

Apr 30, 2023, 1:59:00 PM4/30/23
to Robert Chris, CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Shannon can clarify on the assumed boundary conditions, but the simulation shows a century of misery in any scenario without albedo enhancement or direct temperature modification by increased Evapotranspiration (ET) or Ocean Thermodynamic Geoengineering (TG).

Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas

Apr 30, 2023, 3:18:08 PM4/30/23
to Tom Goreau, Robert Chris, CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Tom,

Shannon did not model a scenario with continued emissions, so it cannot be said that both removal and emissions cessation are required, as you suggest, "that climate stabilization at safe levels without dangerous overshoot is fundamentally impossible with continued fossil fuel use."

"Abstract

Experimental test of the theory proposed in an Alternative Method to Determine a Carbon Dioxide Removal Target. The multi-step experiment explores halting anthropogenic emissions from greenhouse gases and removing all historic cumulative anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions in less than a hundred years to match the preindustrial temperature.
  ..."

Where the abstract states, "Contrary to the prior proposed theory all anthropogenic emissions (from both fossil fuels and land-use change) needed to be removed to realize the final temperature of nearly 0ºC," is unclear to me, because a continued emissions scenario was not modeled.  Fundamentally, to compensate for continued emissions in a continued emissions scenario, simply devise the scenario to remove a compensating amount of GHGs.

https://eartharxiv.org/repository/view/5300/

Steep trails,

Bruce Melton PE
Director, Climate Change Now Initiative, 501c3
President, Melton Engineering Services Austin
8103 Kirkham Drive
Austin, Texas 78736
(512)799-7998
ClimateDiscovery.org
ClimateChangePhoto.org
MeltonEngineering.com
Face...@Bruce.Melton.395
Inst...@Bruce.C.Melton
The Band Climate Change
Twitter - BruceCMelton1

Tom Goreau

Apr 30, 2023, 3:32:06 PM4/30/23
to Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Robert Chris, CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Shannon can clarify, but if she found that without continued emissions there was still no CDR pathway towards stability at safe levels that avoided overshoot, then stronger measures are needed than CDR alone?

Shannon A. Fiume

Apr 30, 2023, 5:06:18 PM4/30/23
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce, Tom et al.,

Multiple emissions scenarios were modeled: two reference scenarios, SSP 1 1.9, SSP 1 2.6 (green growth SSP 1, RF 1.9, RF 2.6) with the experimental emissions scenario of both positive and negative emissions named 300 x 2050, aka RF 0.

The only way to achieve a cooler climate than the present is with large amounts of negative emissions. The math only works if we pass zero emissions and goes deeply negative, assuming we do this before we reach the tipping points (the model limitation is it doesn't reflect all tipping points). To reach zero emissions we must phase out fossil fuels, immediately.

The explicit statement, contrary to the previous theory paper, Alternative Method to determine a CDR Target https://doi.org/10.1002/essoar.10503117.1, I found in this experiment that all anthropogenic emissions had to be removed, from all sinks, land, ocean, and atmosphere. My prior paper was that we only had to remove the anthropogenic from the atmospheric and ocean sinks.

Tom is entirely correct, what I could have written is exactly what Tom pointed out, "that climate stabilization at safe levels without dangerous overshoot is fundamentally impossible with continued fossil fuel use."

Best,

~~sa

Shannon A. Fiume

Apr 30, 2023, 5:25:47 PM4/30/23
to Tom Goreau, Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Robert Chris, CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Tom et al.,

The preferred most impactful measure to allow scaled CDR to be most impactful, is getting to zero emissions. In the context of seeking a cooler climate than the present, (or some day in the future deciding to seek a cooler climate), for CDR to be effective, we must get to zero emissions largely by emissions reductions.

The present volume of yearly emissions and the historic burden of anthropogenic carbon is too large to not devote maximal effort to emissions reductions. If we want to hold the door open to do climate restoration post zero emissions, we need to have reduced emissions as fast as possible to avoid tipping points and any unknown unintended consequences causing warming. Caveat is this type of experiment needs to be repeated on an ensemble of ESMs (as MAGICC doesn't emulate tipping points nor newer climate dynamics: ice loss, permafrost, etc.)

Was that not clear in the paper?

I have one more edit to go before I publish, as right now its a nonpeer reviewed paper on Eartharxiv. (I'll end up doing minor tightening of the abstract, additional context of nonco2 ghg phaseouts, repackage conclusion to include need for immediate FF phaseout that are currently buried within the text for nonclimate sci readers.)

Thanks!

~~sa

Shannon A. Fiume

Apr 30, 2023, 5:39:34 PM4/30/23
to Tom Goreau, Robert Chris, CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Tom,

Would need to verify safety and efficacy of albedo cooling, (what's the most efficient way to cool, etc.) However, any NbS we have we should deploy (all of) those. No they won't have the volume effect to help us stop warming, or counter fossil, but they will help us preserve local systems, while having a tiny lowering effect to yearly emissions.

Let's keep the other email to a tech discussion on boundary.

Thx,

~~sa

Michael Hayes

Apr 30, 2023, 5:43:30 PM4/30/23
to Shannon A. Fiume, Tom Goreau, Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Robert Chris, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Shannon et al.,

Coupling CDR tech with emissions reduction tech, or C negative H2 production, is available, yet it's rarely discussed:

Such dual purpose technologies, and there may be more than the above, likely needs as much attention as possible at this time. Doing both CDR and emissions reductions at the same time likely is our best option if we are to avoid the worst-case senarios.

Best regards

image002.png
image001.png

David Hawkins

Apr 30, 2023, 5:52:15 PM4/30/23
to Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Tom Goreau, Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Robert Chris, Carbon Dioxide Removal
And for energy-intensive CDR, it’s efficacy will be much reduced if the grid is not decarbonized. So emission reduction is needed to allow that CDR to achieve large removals per unit of inputs ($, energy, land, pore space, etc)

Apr 30, 2023, 9:42:18 PM4/30/23
to Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Shannon A. Fiume, Tom Goreau, Robert Chris, carbondiox...@googlegroups.com
For most tech CDR you have to provide energy to operate.  If that is supplied by fossil fuels you greatly reduce the net benefits of the CDR.

Apr 30, 2023, 10:17:27 PM4/30/23
to Michael Hayes, Tom Goreau, Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Robert Chris, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Bruce, Robert, Michael and everyone,

It's the volume of carbon we need to deal with to get the climate to stop getting worse (meaning reach net-zero), and then get cooler than today (go net-negative from zero emissions.) We don't have the volume without reaching nearly all of net-zero by emissions reductions.

Just speculating, if we were to double Earth's plant productivity in the land and ocean, and do all upwards speculation of EW, biochar, basically all NbS, we could hit close to a 1/3 of yearly emissions (https://bit.ly/nco2bal). But then what? We still need emissions reductions, even if we have a bit more time with a safe SAI. And that only slows us down from making it worse faster. It doesn't stop global warming.

I want to see Climate Restoration (requires doing everything.) But even to just holding to stop before overshoot, we need emissions reductions as we can't scale even all NBS in 2-7 years to reduce emissions by 1/3. Worse news is the carbon budget has shrunk anywhere from just under 3 yrs to 7 yrs. https://doi.org/10.1038/s43017-023-00406-z

We have to be very precise about explaining the need for immediate emissions reductions to get us largely to zero emissions and scaled climate just CDR to push us largely negative, and SAI to hold temps below overshoot.

We'll need to do as much emissions reductions, phasedown to phaseouts of fossil, and all safe methods CDR and others, over the time-frame to get us to net, and then zero emissions then negative as fast as possible in order to do the least damage. That translates to achieve net-zero as fast as possible first, deploying emissions reductions technology is first priority,  R&D on scaled climate just CDR and SAI.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor funds to extend this paper to review how to build a portfolio of negative emissions, this paper will remain agnostic on how to obtain negative carbon emissions. (If anyone has new Pg C removed quantities for CDR, pls add them as a comment to https://bit.ly/nco2bal in the 2035 tab, and also note the reference, a doi preferably.)

Regards,

~~sa

Clive Elsworth

Apr 30, 2023, 10:26:43 PM4/30/23
to David Hawkins, Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas, Shannon A. Fiume, Tom Goreau, Robert Chris, carbondiox...@googlegroups.com
Yes, for CDR projections to have any meaning credible emissions projections are also needed.

For example, China recently announced permits to build an additional 106 GW of coal-fired power. Given that China wants to become the dominant supplier of batteries and EVs I wonder how much of that is to provide energy for the additional ore refining of lithium and other metals.