New Direct Air Capture Plant That Runs On Nuclear Heat To Be Built In The UK

Geoengineering News

Apr 9, 2023, 2:47:01 PM4/9/23
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com
https://carbonherald.com/new-direct-air-capture-plant-that-runs-on-heat-to-be-built-in-the-uk/

April 1, 2023

New Direct Air Capture Plant That Runs On Heat To Be Built In The UK - Carbon HeraldCredit: PPP Aerial Photos | Shutterstock

Sizewell C nuclear power station and Associated British Ports (ABP) – UK’s leading port operator with a network of 21 ports across Britain have agreed to work together to build an innovative heat-powered direct air capture (DAC) facility.

The facility will be a demonstration project that will aim to test a new DAC technology using heat from Sizewell C rather than electricity to run. The location of the project will be at the Port of Lowestoft. If successful, the large-scale direct air capture project is planned to be at a separate location from the power station, with the heat transported through underground pipes.

Relevant: Progress On CO2 Capture Plan for Sizewell C Nuclear Plant

The large-scale facility could potentially capture 1.5 million metric tons of CO2 each year. The two companies have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to lease a site at the port and seek planning permission to build the plant.

Credit: Ian Reay | Shutterstock

The project also received a £3 million ($3.7 million) grant from the government’s Greenhouse Gas Removals competition in 2022 – a competition by the UK government that will provide funding for developing technologies that enable the removal of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere in the country.

“We are delighted to be developing plans with ABP to locate the demonstrator DAC facility at the Port of Lowestoft and to help drive net zero innovation in the East of England… DAC is one part of our plan to make Sizewell C a low-carbon hub, which will help kickstart other technologies and deliver even more value to our energy system.” said Sizewell C’s Managing Director for Financing, Julia Pyke.

Relevant: Air Products And ABP To Build UK’s Largest Green Hydrogen Facility

Direct air capture and storage is an essential carbon removal technology that could help significantly reduce the excess atmospheric CO2 emissions that have already built up. However, innovation is needed in the space to reduce the large electricity consumption of the technology, as it could compete with households for clean electricity usage.

If DAC technologies redirect a large proportion of clean energy from communities, the amount would have to be compensated by fossil fuel energy which threatens DAC’s viability as an effective carbon removal solution.

Source: Carbon Herald

Nucleation Capital

Apr 30, 2023, 6:11:50 PM4/30/23
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
We are seeing the beginning of the conversation between those that seek to capture carbon and the nuclear industry. Not only can nuclear provide 24x7x365 clean electricity to industrial-scale carbon capture projects, there are likely going to be many projects that can operate at very low cost utilizing nuclear-produced steam or possibly waste heat.

Planetary Technologies expects to utilize the water outflows from waste treatment or nuclear power plants to deliver their ocean alkaline enhancement “antacid” to the sea. Another project that we’ve seen even seeks to install their DAC system inside a nuclear cooling tower to facilitate the capture process without needing separately-powered fans.

From my observations of this CDR group, it seems that there are still many people who think that clean power from solar or wind is enough and few thinking about the added costs of firming up that generation. There are good reasons why so many of us just can’t wrap our minds the use of nuclear power—even as next generation nuclear is poised to provide a much wider range of designs, some of which may be ideal modular carbon-free power sources for large DAC installations.

Because I believe that CDR and next-gen nuclear are the perfect match, I wanted to share news that Oliver Stone has just released a powerful new documentary film, Nuclear Now, that is in US theaters this weekend and tomorrow, May 1st, with a very few theaters extending showings through Thursday. This is a great way to get a better sense of what energy experts have been saying about nuclear for quite some time. It is being hailed by the New York Times as an antidote to those who see no way to solve our climate problem and a rejoinder to An Inconvenient Truth, that laid out the GHG problem without any solutions.

If you are interested in trying to see the film, here are Nuclear Now Links

My firm, Nucleation Capital, is the only venture fund that exclusively invests in both advanced nuclear and deep decarbonization ventures and we see big synergies between these two emerging sectors in the coming years as we battle both energy system emissions mitigation and climate restoration.

Valerie
Valerie Gardner, Managing Partner
PO Box 15, Menlo Park, CA 94026

Andrew Lockley

Apr 30, 2023, 6:37:14 PM4/30/23
to Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
I've drafted a paper on this issue, which I'd welcome collaboration on.

Nuclear can be used in 3 ways for CDR
1) provider of waste heat for low temperature DAC, coupled with electric power generation
2) direct provider of heat for any DAC, without power generation
3) provider of electric for DAC

My work concentrates on 2. Extant schemes (Sizewell) concentrate on 1.

Low temperature DAC can easily be served with swimming pool reactors / boiling water; these have low burnup, producing lots of waste. Sodium fast, lead fast, etc. Can be made smaller, and can service high temperature DAC. It's unclear what public reaction to a large expansion of the nuclear fleet to service DAC would be. I expect it would create unusual alliances between climate denier RWNJs and deep green lefties.

Andrew

NC Logo tinyv2.png

Eelco Rohling

Apr 30, 2023, 6:57:05 PM4/30/23
to Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Hi Andrew

Do you mean only for DAC, or all CDR as you wrote in “Nuclear can be used in 3 ways for CDR”?
If the latter, then nuclear has a wider potential role, including for example power for electrolysis, heat for enhanced weathering reaction vessels, and many more.
But from the rest of your text I think you meant DAC only.
Note that that is not CDR. To make DAC into CDR, you need storage. Nuclear energy may play a role in that as well, including potentially providing heat for injection into igneous rocks for storage in mineral form.

Cheers

Eelco
===

Prof. Eelco J. Rohling
(Ocean & Climate Change)
- 2012 Australian Laureate Fellow
- Editor in Chief, Oxford Open Climate Change
Research School of Earth Sciences
The Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia

Mobile: (+61) 434 667441
Tel. Office: (+61) 2 612 53857
e-mail after 1 October 2023: eelco_...@me.com

personal WebURL: http://www.highstand.org/erohling/ejrhome.htm

PastedGraphic-1.tiff

Andrew Lockley

Apr 30, 2023, 7:06:07 PM4/30/23
to Eelco Rohling, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Electricity can indeed be used for various CDR technologies - but that's so general that it doesn't merit mention.

I'm unclear what role heat plays in storage. You could have a steam turbine powered compressor, but that doesn't seem to have obvious benefits. I'm unaware of any direct requirement for heat for geological storage.

I suggested to origen they consider nuclear power, but the regulatory hurdles are too large.

Michael Hayes

Apr 30, 2023, 7:17:13 PM4/30/23
to Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Dear Valerie et al.,

Microalgae dewatering is a significant limiting factor for that form of biological CDR. Over many years I've tried to stay up with the literature concerning the potential use of nuclear power or reactor waste heat for dewatering. Regrettably, there has been only a few papers that make the link. I primarily focus upon marine CDR and can see how the new small reactors can fit into a comprehensive offshore CDR/renewable energy tech basket. In general, marine grade reactors have an impressive safety record. It is what happens to the reactors after they are decommissioned that is troubling.

The possiblity of using decommissioned nuclear submarines, and the stored 50% fuel pack held as stratigic reserves, for water cooling and CDR work has been an interest to me as using such assets for environmental work is likely better than storing the fuel for centuries or dismantal the ships and storing the reactors for centuries.

[...] There are currently 21 former Royal Navy nuclear submarines awaiting disposal, 7 in Rosyth and 14 in Devonport. Here we look at the process and the modest progress in efforts to dismantle them. [...]

Gaining political support for the use of this type of strategic technology may not be out of the question if security concerns can be properly addressed as using the fuel and ships will likely be cheaper than what is now done.

Best regards

Michael

NC Logo tinyv2.png

Seth Miller

Apr 30, 2023, 8:12:18 PM4/30/23
to Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Andrew,

I am actually somewhat bullish on (3) below, specifically that nuclear power and heat can be integrated into a DAC project design from the ground up. You can find a 2021 paper on the topic here to compare with my rough analysis below.

My summary:
  1. A DAC plant will be built in locations which are geologically favorable for storage, but are expensive to tie to the grid (Iceland, West Texas, etc.)
  2. An energy cost from modular nuclear of $0.08/kWh, which will be competitive with grid-tied renewables that require long distance transmission
  3. A generic energy cost of 1,200 kWh/tonne CO2 captured by DAC, such that a plant capturing 1 MT CO2/yr would require roughly 150 MW of continuous power for capture + compression/injections.

Modular nuclear sizes nicely to DAC needs, and can be built centrally and transferred to remote areas. The final plant size could be significantly smaller than the 150 MW above if the system was designed to provide a mix of electricity (for pumps) and low grade heat (for sorbent regeneration) - the transfer of heat operates at a high efficiency than processes that convert heat to electricity. An effective cost of $0.06/kWh seems maybe achievable, maybe even less, but I’d have to scrub that a bit more.

The timetable for the approval and scale-up of modular nuclear matches well to the scale-up of DAC. Many of the concerns about nuclear safety are much less severe when the plants are sited in a remote environment, vs next to a large city.

Best,
Seth

-------

Seth Miller, Ph.D.
Check my blog at: perspicacity.xyz

Nucleation Capital

Apr 30, 2023, 8:35:00 PM4/30/23
to Seth Miller, Andrew Lockley, electro...@gmail.com, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Seth, I agree and thank you for sharing that study, which is correct and speaks to the benefits of nuclear developers/operators to build SMRs in partnership with and close to industrial plants, CDR projects, hydrogen production, water purification and other teams seeking clean energy or steam 24x7.

Andrew, a few individuals and groups come to mind, including Staffan Qvist, who with others published “Retrofit Decarbonization of Coal Plants—A Case Study for Poland,” looked at retrofitting coal plants with advanced nuclear. Also the team at Lucid Catalyst authored a report for EPRI on Scalable Nuclear Energy for Zero-Carbon Synthetic Fuels. I’ve posted most of the best studies on the energy transition that I run across on my Reports page, if that is of interest.  I’m happy to make introductions for you offline.

Michael, I am doing some checking on your submarine question with my partner, Rod Adams, a former submariner, on what he’s heard about that and will reply offline as well.

Regards,

Valerie

Shannon A. Fiume

May 1, 2023, 4:33:26 AM5/1/23
to Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Andrew and Val, those are good and more CCU usecases: heat for synthetic aggregate/limestone, synthetic concrete, industrial use of heat, and traditional geo thermal customers.

And Valerie, I'm assuming you've seen the latest Lazard LCOE. Capital costs are still high and would need to be balanced with asset lifetime and additional benefits of DAC/CCU/industrial heat. If we're serious about avoiding overshoot, we need to grow nuclear. If we were looking for maximal optimistic growth on all things not fossil, it could look like so: https://bit.ly/energbal. I underplayed nuclear given it's not a technology that scales like Solar PV or wind, and waste concerns. The problem with my speculation is relies too heavily on CCS (140 Ej/yr at 2030) even if it's coupled to bio sources and waste, solar and wind are stretched to the max. But shows us unless we do more with RE, energy storage and nuclear, we still have upwards of a third of power that will likely be some part actual fossil instead of nearly phased out. Emissions from power for 2021 was 39.3% of FF (https://doi.org/10.1038/s43017-023-00406-z), taking 30% is 4.7 GtCO2. Optimistically we could have somewhere from a bit over 1GtCO2 to nearly 5GtCO2 in emissions by 2030.

How close will we be to overshooting 1.5ºC at that time? How much over 1 GtCO2 at 2030 puts us in overshoot? Would all the other sectors be at net-zero by 2030? How many countries will just agree to kick the can down the road and slide above overshoot? To all of those questions, I don't know. I do know that sea level rise (that occurs until peak warming and is fully realized decades after) is basically permanent no matter how much carbon we remove or shield with SAI. For those in energy, it's critical clean energy and electrification maximally accelerate, to avoid overshoot.

Best,

~~sa

--
Shannon A. Fiume
sha...@autofracture.com | +01.415.272.7020

Michael Hayes

May 1, 2023, 8:55:38 AM5/1/23
to Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Shannon et al.,

Debating the technical merits of SAI, such as potential accelerations of polar warming and thus accelerated sea level rise due to SAI, will get my private mail loaded up with truely vulgar nasty little notes from some folks that support SAI, it has happened before. As such, I will limit my comments to the political aspects of SAI.

Stratospheric Aerosol Injection using sulfur will likely never be deployed as it would require universal acceptance from every nation on this planet. There is no prior example of every nation on this planet agreeing upon anything. There are 5 nation states that still have not accepted the gregorian calendar.

Most importantly, of all the technical options that we have at this time, SAI is the only one that has a potential to start a hot war. As such, relying upon SAI to buy time is likely not a good idea. The combination of CDR and emissions reduction is the only practical technical field that we have to work within.

Best regards

Michael MacCracken

May 1, 2023, 9:23:12 AM5/1/23
to Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Dear Michael--

Regarding your discouraging view on SAI, I could equally say there are no nations that I know of that favor further warming. Now, I'd agree that not all, perhaps not any, favor going back all the way to the 19th century preindustrial climate, or even perhaps to early 20th century climate. It seems to me that there is thus the possibility to use SAI to keep the global average temperature in a range of the conditions of the second half of the 20th century, and doing so in a gradual manner, so not in the type of emergency mode of letting things get too far and suddenly going down, which could be more traumatic than, at least for a decade or two, continuing to go up.

Until quite recently, most SAI studies have been perhaps scientifically interesting (e.g., seeing how well one can reverse a doubling), but politically a bit nonsensical. There are now emerging quite interesting studies about using SAI, for example, to hold conditions constant (which would be especially helpful this decade to offset warming from the cutback in marine sulfur emissions) and the simulations could readily be adjusted to gradually pull the global average temperature back toward late 20th century values. Interestingly, the most responsive aspect of the system seems to be the hydrologic cycle, the changes in which seem to be the most devastating. True that conditions won't become exactly as they were, but it would seem that they could become within the ranges of variability to which society and the environment could much more readily adjust that allowing conditions to continue to become more disruptive given the sluggish efforts at mitigation and the huge challenge and time it will take to phase up sufficient CDR to prevent further warming.

Mike MacCracken

Michael Hayes

May 1, 2023, 10:05:35 AM5/1/23
to Michael MacCracken, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Dear Michael et al.,

With the greatest respect, as I have never read a more impressive resume than yours, there is a major political hazard with SAI unlike all other options. I will cite a Pew research group survey on acceptance of global warming even being a threat:

The one stand out finding is that higher educational levels are key to accepting that there is a climate disruption threat. As such, even here in the US, close to 50% don't believe we actually have a threat.

Regrettably, higher education is not the universal norm on this planet, it is an exception, a rather rare exception in many nation states. Relying upon universal acceptance of all nation states, some armed with nuclear weapons, likely has an extream hazard potential that can only be tested out by deployment. Why roll that type of dice when we have other options?

Senarios that exclude SAI may be discouraging, yet the number of the papers in this field, the vast majority of papers in this field, that simply ignore that this planet even has an ocean is equally discouraging. If SAI is to be included in model senarios, factoring in the likelihood of triggering a hot war should be included in the C math. Wars are extremely bad for the C cycle. WW2 likely did change the C cycle in as little as 4-5 years. If the 'worst-case senario' is a modeler's aim, triggering a hot war is a worst-case senario.

With all respect,

Michael

Dan Galpern

May 1, 2023, 11:49:54 AM5/1/23
to Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Michael,

Granted that emissions reduction + CDR must be pursued with all deliberate speed, still, why does Monaco, for instance, or Nauru (or the Vatican) get to veto deployment of SAI with sulfur? Also, why is SAI's potential to start a hot war greater than the potential of additional global warming to do the same?

Thanks much,

Dan

Robert Chris

May 1, 2023, 12:57:24 PM5/1/23
to Dan Galpern, Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Dan

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your question.  Climate change is and has always been framed by those not intimately engaged with the science, as an economic problem to be resolved using standard approaches to other economic problems.  Climate change and global warming are still not perceived as existential threats by most people, and certainly not by the movers and shakers of the major world economies.  For them it's all about power.  And in that they are absolutely correct.  However, their big mistake is that they have yet to realise that nature is also a player in this game and it has more power than they do.

The only meaningful question is whether they will understand soon enough they they can't continueindefinitely to swim against the tide .  Will they turn and go with the flow, or will they be responsible for the sixth mass extinction event?  I wouldn't bet on the outcome, either way there's too great a risk that the bookies won't be around to pay up!

CDR and non-CO2 GHG removal on any likely scale-up trajectory are now little more than a sideshow.  The UNFCCC has become an irrelevance (as your one-liner below illustrates) and the IPCC has signally failed to shift the dial (link).  Following the example of those stoically accepting their fate as the Titanic went down, perhaps the next big investment opportunity is in party planning.  And the party planners, can take their new-found fortunes with them to their watery graves.  OK, perhaps a little hyperbolic and cynical - but by how much?

Regards

Robert

Douglas MacMartin

May 1, 2023, 1:22:30 PM5/1/23
to Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Michael – I think everyone agrees that governance would be challenging.  Nonetheless, many of us think it important not to foreclose options, given where it looks like we might be headed.

But the odds of SAI accelerating polar warming are roughly the same as the odds of CDR accelerating polar warming.  No reason to deliberately spread disinformation.

Valerie Gardner, Managing Partner

Michael Hayes

May 1, 2023, 1:30:58 PM5/1/23
to Dan Galpern, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Dan,

Your points are logically valid in many ways. The key root word, however, is 'logical'. Any basket of technology that relies upon the logic of SAI reliance is subject to being blindsided by the illogical responses of both nations and humans. And we are not talking about Monaco or the Vatican state, think Russia, China, possibly even India. Based upon the PEW survey, even Israel if not the US can possibly political object to SAI due to public pressure in the future.

BTW, all of the above currently do.

As such, fully accepting that the use of SAI is an actual 'go-or-no-go' critical decision factor in avoiding a planetary scale biogeochemical 'worst-case senario' likely does need questioning on the political and socioeconomic levels. The planetary biogeochemistry considerations can not stand seperate of the policy factors nor the socioeconomic factors.

As to your second question, global warming does have a well proven socioeconomic/political conflict potential, or 'hot war potential', none of us in this field question that. The conflict potential values of SAI itself, and it is the only SRM/CDR technology that has a serious global conflict potential, likely should be included within atleast one variant of a SAI reliant model. Asking for one variant, a 'hot war' variant, of most SAI centric models is not asking for much.

This is a CDR centric group, as such, I must link what I write directly to the CDR field. As such, allow me to cite what we have just witnessed with the Ukrainian war and it's grain crop. An SAI centric model, with CDR/other SRM techniques, likely needs to use that scale of 'war' disruption to global cultivation values, cultivation is a recognized form of CDR, by alteast a factor...within 3 years of deployment of SAI. Then watch what happens to the 'biotic CDR' values.

Models are cheap neat and tidy, wars are not.

Kindest regards,

Michael Hayes

May 1, 2023, 1:55:34 PM5/1/23
to Douglas MacMartin, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Douglas,

I accept your views as those of a widely recognized expert on SAI.

As such, can you provide guidance on finding any/all SAI centric model(s) that factor in a 'hot war' potential?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Douglas MacMartin

May 1, 2023, 6:01:37 PM5/1/23
to Michael Hayes, Shannon A. Fiume, Andrew Lockley, Nucleation Capital, Carbon Dioxide Removal

(Non-CDR post other than context and the hopes that CDR will scale up sufficiently that those of us working on SAI find something else to do)

Short answer is no… I don’t think it’s something that anyone knows how to model, and certainly not me.  But agree with you 100% that in thinking about the risks of deployment vs risks of not deploying, one needs to include both the direct physical risks as well as the risks that come from human dimension, including conflict, including moral hazard, and including the physical consequences of non-ideal deployment such as termination.  Lots of intelligent thoughtful people disagree about how large any of those risks are relative to the risks of climate change.  I would strongly suspect that the physical climate risks of a well-intentioned deployment are “better” than the risks of not deploying, though even there, I don’t think there’s enough research to base decisions on; it’s the societal part that worries me the most.

Obvious question of whether SAI increases or decreases overall risks of conflicts at different levels; clearly it has the potential to do both, and the answer will depend a bit on what we learn in more research (how small are the actual modeled “side effects”), how well that research is perceived as legitimate, as well as on how decisions are made.  Decisions taken unilaterally could certainly lead to the possibility of much worse outcomes than climate change alone.  And ultimately, the risk-risk calculus depends at least as much on what climate change without SAI winds up looking like.

Bottom line is that I wish I was confident that reduction in net emissions would suffice, and that the resulting climate impacts are manageable.  But I remain enough of a pessimist that I’m not willing to gamble on that, and thus argue for more research on SAI with the hopes that whatever decisions are ultimately made, they are at least informed by whatever knowledge we know how to generate between now and then.

[...]

Image removed by sender.Credit: Ian Reay | Shutterstock

Michael Hayes

May 1, 2023, 6:34:33 PM5/1/23
to Douglas MacMartin, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Douglas, et al.,

I view your statement as proof that you are a master in the SAI field, well stated, sir.

War is simply not open to useful modeling. If war was easy to model, it would no longer be war, it would be simply punishment by one group upon another group of the grosses kind.

Study of SAI is of unique importance, and that is the majority view of the wider mitigation and adaptation community, as I understand that community. Yet, deployment does involve factors that we simply can not model for. That is unique to SAI.

Please allow me a conditional QED, my friend.
image001.jpg
image002.jpg