OIF may amplify climate change pressures

Greg Rau

Jul 11, 2023, 3:41:13 PM7/11/23
to Carbon Dioxide Removal

"Climate change scenarios suggest that large-scale carbon dioxide removal (CDR) will be required to maintain global warming below 2°C, leading to renewed attention on ocean iron fertilization (OIF). Previous OIF modelling has found that while carbon export increases, nutrient transport to lower latitude ecosystems declines, resulting in a modest impact on atmospheric CO2. However, the interaction of these CDR re- sponses with ongoing climate change is unknown. Here, we combine global ocean biogeochemistry and ecosystem models to show that, while stimulating carbon se- questration, OIF may amplify climate-induced declines in tropical ocean productivity and ecosystem biomass under a high-emission scenario, with very limited potential atmospheric CO2 drawdown. The ‘biogeochemical fingerprint’ of climate change, that leads to depletion of upper ocean major nutrients due to upper ocean stratification, is reinforced by OIF due to greater major nutrient consumption. Our simulations show that reductions in upper trophic level animal biomass in tropical regions due to climate change would be exacerbated by OIF within ~20 years, especially in coastal exclusive economic zones (EEZs), with potential implications for fisheries that underpin the live- lihoods and economies of coastal communities. Any fertilization-based CDR should therefore consider its interaction with ongoing climate-driven changes and the ensu- ing ecosystem impacts in national EEZs.”

GR On the other hand, what are the observed, natural effects of iron delivery to the ocean during/after dust storms, volcanic eruptions and glaciations?  Would artificial OIF go beyond these effects?

Anton Alferness

Jul 11, 2023, 3:59:32 PM7/11/23
to Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bhaskar M V
Combined with fixed or mobile (or both) artificial upwelling to break up stratification and thus enable broader/larger nutrient availability. Wait, I hear Bhaskar at the door, hold on.

Bhaskar M V

Jul 11, 2023, 10:42:59 PM7/11/23
to an...@paradigmclimate.com, a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Anton

Thanks for the Hon'ble Mention.

The paper is good, the only issue is that it does not evaluate the difference in outcome of OIF when Diatoms grow vs when Cyanobacteria bloom.
Diatoms are eukaryotes and the last type of phytoplankton to have evolved about 200 mya and they are the best food for zooplankton and fish. Diatoms account for 50% of primary production in water, lakes and oceans.
Cyanobacteria are prokaryotes and the first phytoplankton to have evolved about 3000 mya and they are NOT food for zooplankton and fish. They probably account for less than 10% of the primary production in water.

So when Diatoms grow marine animal biomass increases and
when Cyanobacteria bloom the marine animal biomass declines.

'Nutrient robbing' too takes place only when Cyanobacteria bloom, since they are not consumed by marine animals the nutrients are not recycled. When Diatoms grow they are consumed by marine animals and these retain some carbon to grow, exhale the remaining carbon as CO2 and retain some and excrete a lot of the nutrients.
I don't think this aspect has been considered in the paper or in the models it relies upon.

OIF will be beneficial ONLY if it ensures growth of Diatoms.

Greg

GR On the other hand, what are the observed, natural effects of iron delivery to the ocean during/after dust storms, volcanic eruptions and glaciations?  Would artificial OIF go beyond these effects?
We have been fertilizing ponds and lakes with our micro-nutrient product to grow Diatom Algae and water quality always improves and fish grow well. The COD and BOD of the water decreases and DO goes up. Increase in Oxygen due to increase in photosynthesis is proof of decrease in CO2.

OIF is not just an imitation of natural iron delivery to oceans,
it should also solve problems caused by nutrient input into Oceans via Sewage and Fertilizer runoff and
decrease in micro-nutrient input via rivers due to damming of rivers.

IF Ocean Fertilization can't solve eutrophication, algal blooms, hypoxia, etc., it can't help sequester Carbon.
Eutrophication, Algal Blooms, Hypoxia, etc., are caused by increase in macro-nutrient, i.e., N and P, input into lakes and oceans.
CO2, N and P are all inputs for photosynthesis, so problem caused by increase in CO2 can't be solved without solving the problems caused by increase in nutrients in water.

Regards

Bhaskar
Director
Kadambari Consultants Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad. India
Ph. & WhatsApp : +91 92465 08213

Clive Elsworth

Jul 12, 2023, 1:04:26 AM7/12/23
to Bhaskar M V, an...@paradigmclimate.com, a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Bhaskar

Most biologists favour maintaining biological diversity, rather than creating monocultures. What about dinoflagellates? These are also eukaryotes.

A brief Google of “what consumes Cyanobacteria?” indicates that they are consumed by numerous animals including shrimp, sea slugs and sea hares, it also says that Zooplankton cannot avoid consuming Cyanobacteria.

Clive

Bhaskar M V

Jul 12, 2023, 1:27:46 AM7/12/23
to Clive Elsworth, an...@paradigmclimate.com, a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Clive

Diatoms are the basis for biodiversity in lakes and oceans.
Diatoms evolved 200 mya, Whales 50 mya, Krill 28 mya.
Krill are the dominant zooplankton in oceans, they feed on Diatoms.

When Diatoms dominate many species of zooplankton and fish grow.
When Cyanobacteria dominate the species diversity and numbers decline, this is a well recorded fact.
Aquaculture pond owners go to great lengths and expense to prevent Cyanobacteria bloom in their ponds.

".. it also says that Zooplankton cannot avoid consuming Cyanobacteria"
Sure. Zooplankton can only consume whatever is within their feeding range.
So when only Cyano is available zooplankton will consume [/ swallow] them.
The point is what happens after zooplankton consume [/ swallow] Cyanobacteria?
Zooplankton can't digest them due to the cellulose cell wall and the cyano is just excreted undigested and the zooplankton, and consequently the fish, numbers decline, year after year.

Regards

Bhaskar
Director
Kadambari Consultants Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad. India
Ph. & WhatsApp : +91 92465 08213

Tom Goreau

Jul 12, 2023, 6:33:29 AM7/12/23
to Bhaskar M V, an...@paradigmclimate.com, a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Bhaskar is right that it makes a huge difference to carbon cycle feedbacks whether diatoms, coccoliths, dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria, or other algae are the beneficiaries of ocean fertilization or artificial upwelling, and that very small amounts of essential trace elements make the key difference.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance

Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.

Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK

37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 (leave message)

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

It’s much later than we think, especially if we don’t think

Those with their heads in the sand will see the light when global warming and sea level rise wash the beach away

Geotherapy: Regenerating ecosystem services to reverse climate change

Tom Goreau

Jul 12, 2023, 6:42:15 AM7/12/23
to Bhaskar M V, Clive Elsworth, an...@paradigmclimate.com, a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal

Thanks Bhaskar!

Cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates are the major cause of toxic algae blooms, formerly very scarce, but now epidemic in coastal waters due to land-based sources of nutrients.

Two of my most recent projects are in fjords in Chilean Patagonia, where toxic algae blooms caused by salmon farm wastes have killed shellfish and 20 kilometers of the world’s only shallow cold water coral reefs, and in Florida’s Indian River Lagoon, where toxic dinoflagellates caused by sewage have killed clams, oysters, seagrass, and the manatee that feed on them.

As a child in Jamaica I saw the coral reefs die when toxic algae blooms turned Kingston Harbour into the first dead zone whose formation was documented, by Jamaican marine biologist Barry Wade.

From: <carbondiox...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Bhaskar M V <bhaska...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 1:27 AM
To: Clive Elsworth <cl...@endorphinsoftware.co.uk>
Cc: "an...@paradigmclimate.com" <an...@paradigmclimate.com>, "a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk" <a.tag...@liverpool.ac.uk>, Greg Rau <gr...@ucsc.edu>, Carbon Dioxide Removal <carbondiox...@googlegroups.com>