What if I buy multiple cars/multiple driver policies from two companies?

jbly...@att.net

Mar 12, 2007, 8:37:03 PM3/12/07
to Car Insurance Info Page
It is time to add my 16 year-old son to our auto insurance policy.
Our current insurance provider quoted us $3,050/yr on top of the
$2,200 we pay for our 3 cars/2 driver scenario. Our $5,250/yr policy
would look like this:

Car 1: Honda Civic, primary driver = male over 25, 15K mi/yr
Car 2: BMW 318, primary driver = female over 25, 15K mi/yr
Car 3: Chevy Impala, primary driver = male under 25, 5K mi/yr
Car 4: Chevy Suburban, recreational only, 5K mi/yr

In our research we have discovered that having a 2-car/3-driver policy
where the boy is a part-time driver saves a ton of money. My question
is this, if we were to buy 2-car/3-driver policies from two different
insurance providers, would we be opening ourselves up for issues when
it comes time to file a claim on one of the cars?

It would be like this:
>From GEICO we would buy a policy:
Car 1: BMW 318, primary driver = female over 25, 15K mi/yr
Car 2: Chevy Impala, primary driver = male under 25, 5K mi/yr
16 year-old son is part time driver on either car

>From AmFam we would buy a policy:
Car 1: Honda Civic, primary driver = male over 25, 15K mi/yr
Car 2: Chevy Suburban, primary driver = female over 25, 5K mi/yr
16 year-old son is part time driver on either car

Could I get away with this? I know I would save $$ on premiums. What
do you think?

--JB