Please assist with sightings of pairs of Secretarybirds and nesting

Gilbert Reinhardt

Mar 4, 2024, 3:08:14 AMMar 4
to capeb...@googlegroups.com

From: Tania Anderson <tania.a...@uct.ac.za>
Date: Monday, 04 March 2024 at 08:10
To: Sabap2-l <Saba...@uct.ac.za>
Subject: Please assist with sightings of pairs of Secretarybirds and nesting

Dear citizen science community,

HawkWatch International (https://hawkwatch.org/) is collecting nesting biology data on Secretarybirds in the Western Cape and we need your help!

We are reaching out to ask about sightings of pairs of Secretarybirds seen foraging together, carrying (nest) material or food or, the holy grail, a bird on a nest!

Given their Endangered status, we aim to study their breeding and foraging ecology to better understand what they require to reproduce successfully and how they utilize the landscape in order to contribute to their conservation. Our research aims to inform recommendations around wind farms, as well improve our understanding of protected area requirements, and how the species will respond to climate change.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Please get in touch with Sanjo Rose at roses...@gmail.com or Meg Murgatroyd at mmurg...@hawkwatch.org with your sighting information.

Kind regards,

Tania

Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at https://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/report-incident