Kliphoek Salt pans on the Berg river

Dave&Sue

Jan 21, 2024, 9:30:28 AMJan 21
to capeb...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mel, Otto,

                        After my Langebaan count took a trip up to the Berg River. Situation has changed dramatically. In about 2011/2 Cerebos applied for a licence to mine salt. The area was kown to be reasonably ecologically important and a numer of bodies including Cape Nature and the CBC Conserrvation committee held discussions with the company. It was agreed that 50 % of the area would not be mined and maintained as a conservation area.

I note that a new compnay "Cape Salt" is now managing the area.

I shall contact them and Cape Nature and try and determine how this happened. Occurred to me that  they may not have sought permission to mine the entire area.

Regards,

Dave