Re: [SABirdNet] Rude and troublesome behaviour by SA birder Etienne Marais

John Fincham

Oct 9, 2023, 1:38:31 PM10/9/23
to mw.p...@gmail.com, sabi...@googlegroups.com, Capebirdnet

Well done Mark!

John

On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 at 17:09, Mark Paxton <mw.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi to all of you,
I don't often post much here but I do follow the posts of others.
I had a very troubling incident yesterday while out with a birding guest in the vicinity of Shamvura Camp where I stay.
We saw two vehicles with birders parked on the B8 tarred road. They were parked right next to a "NO TRESPASSING" sign posted by the landowner. This sign was posted in an area regularly plagued by birders disrespecting the locals land rights, some of whom have now now posted signs to stop this disrespective behaviour.
When I stopped next to the cars, making ready to go birding in the bush, I called out "Hi, how're you guys" and was greeted by the group leader (Etienne Marais) with a "We're looking for Souza's Shrike" I asked if he could read the sign, whereupon the conversation turned nasty with Etienne saying that "everybody birds here, it's communal area anyway" and then lied that he'd "spoken to the community" I said I'd report this to the landowner and drove away. Having received the details of this  group, the landowner has now placed a charge of trespassing with the Namibian police.
This kind of disgraceful. arrogant and unacceptable behaviour by Etienne Marais, (and other SA birders I've encountered in the past who continue to disrespect local resident's knowledge, privacy and land rights), has serious repercussions for local birding organizations like myself who have to deal with the repercussions from local legitimate landowners. They clearly disapprove of this disrespective attitude which is why they go to the trouble and expense of posting signboards. It also spoils birding in this area for everyone and throws a bad light on SA birders in general.
My UK birder guest, who took photos, was disgusted by Etienne's attitude and behaviour.
Having had previous heated and senseless discussions with several similarly arrogant SA birders on this forum in the past I don't intend to pursue any similar arguments.
Cheers,
Mark Paxton.

--
Please don't reply to the sender and the group otherwise they end up with 2 copies of your reply. Choose which one you think is the most appropriate!
Keep private replies offline.