Annual Owl survey Nachtwacht

d...@agulhasplainbirding.co.za

Mar 27, 2024, 3:51:39 AMMar 27
to CapeB...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

We are in the process of organizing the postponed annual owl survey. We will
try for either 20 April or 27 April depending on the owner's OK and if both
dates available, we will look at the weather and choose accordingly.

Should you be interested to join, please let me know.

We will meet at 06h30(slightly later for better photography) at the gate
before the white Kars River bridge. Here we greet and discuss protocol. We
then will move in to the Grass Owl Patch and park 100m away. We then
approach by foot in dead silence to within 50m of nesting spot behind a
fence where we set up cameras. Once ready we find 2 volunteers and try to
flush the owls using roping method. There is no guarantee that we will find
them but so far we had a 100% success rate. This year especially we do not
know what we will find as this area was 1m under water during the flooding
in 2023. This is phase one of the survey. Those who would like to leave now
are welcome to do so.

For phase 2 we survey for Marsh owl on the opposite side of the marsh land,
where we also look for other rare waterbirds. This is a difficult habitat,
very wet and a degree of fitness(and wellington's) is required. Should we be
unsuccessful, we can still go to the Vogelgezang Marsh Owl patch for those
interested.

There is no fee for the different outings. We do ask a R100/person donation
to help the farmer with conservation costs.

Please let me know whether you are interested!

Kind Regards / Vriendelike Groete

Wim de Klerk

Project Co-ordinator

Agulhas Plain Birding Project